Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great to see you have been out on the road. And with only a few problems. The quirks are a constant on the old beauties aren’t they? Haven’t been on here for a while. Well....that’s not true. Just popped in twice or thrice now and again and saw the set up and promised myself a proper visit to acclimatise with the new set up. Retired now, but DIY, concentrating on my blog site and becoming Tom Good to tackle the jungle the garden had become was taking up my time. It’s great to see you have accomplished so much. Need to back space a fair few of your pages to see where I left off from your journey up to ‘then’. See what you’ve been up to. All the best Andy.

Thanks and yes, had a few trips in her so far.
My daughter was up this weekend so I said to her lets go for a spin in the bus - engine fired first time (after 3 weeks of not being fired up) which was good but could I get it in gear - nope :mad:

Will not go into 1st to 4th at all and when I try reverse with the clutch down it grind the gears so not sure what has gone wrong????

Last few days I thought I would have a go with putting on the front bumper and steps - a lot of work to still do but looks good:

20220418_125810.jpg

Just need to get the gear changes to work and should be good!!!

Try adjusting the shift plate under the gear stick.
Put it into 2nd gear, slightly loosen the two bolts holding the base of the gearshift and move the gearstick so that the bottom bit is vertical and the cranked bit is at 30 degrees to the rear of the van. Then move the shift plate as far left as possible without moving the gearstick. Tighten the two bolts. This should help selection of 1st and 2nd.
If the lever doesn't travel straight forward and back in the 1st/2nd plane, try slightly twisting the shift plate.

Thanks and yes, had a few trips in her so far.
My daughter was up this weekend so I said to her lets go for a spin in the bus - engine fired first time (after 3 weeks of not being fired up) which was good but could I get it in gear - nope :mad:

Will not go into 1st to 4th at all and when I try reverse with the clutch down it grind the gears so not sure what has gone wrong????
Thanks for the reply. I went to the Llyn Peninsula a few years back and had the problem re: finding gears. I’d hit a hill, jump down gears and struggled to house the intended 2nd or 1st. Going up and down gears was frustrating. I remember double clutching at one point with the tiniest success. I’d try anything to be honest. Then? I bought a quick shift kit, which Paul (the Guru) fitted and haven’t looked back since. It’s an amazing difference. Sparkywig has amazing advice though. More knowledge and experience. Oh! I do remember the guy in a local garage put mine on back to front once way back when. That was spooky! So pleased though that you are out there despite the niggles. Took my bus to the beach yesterday with my visiting daughter and four grandkids. As said, I’ve retired now so have a much freer life opportunity wise. You’ll love the freedom your bus will bring. Nice to see all the benefits of your hard work. 👍

Try adjusting the shift plate under the gear stick.
Put it into 2nd gear, slightly loosen the two bolts holding the base of the gearshift and move the gearstick so that the bottom bit is vertical and the cranked bit is at 30 degrees to the rear of the van. Then move the shift plate as far left as possible without moving the gearstick. Tighten the two bolts. This should help selection of 1st and 2nd.
If the lever doesn't travel straight forward and back in the 1st/2nd plane, try slightly twisting the shift plate.
Cheers Si - will have a look when I get a chance and report back

Thanks for the reply. I went to the Llyn Peninsula a few years back and had the problem re: finding gears. I’d hit a hill, jump down gears and struggled to house the intended 2nd or 1st. Going up and down gears was frustrating. I remember double clutching at one point with the tiniest success. I’d try anything to be honest. Then? I bought a quick shift kit, which Paul (the Guru) fitted and haven’t looked back since. It’s an amazing difference. Sparkywig has amazing advice though. More knowledge and experience. Oh! I do remember the guy in a local garage put mine on back to front once way back when. That was spooky! So pleased though that you are out there despite the niggles. Took my bus to the beach yesterday with my visiting daughter and four grandkids. As said, I’ve retired now so have a much freer life opportunity wise. You’ll love the freedom your bus will bring. Nice to see all the benefits of your hard work. 👍
Retired - well done and enjoy :)

Found some time this afternoon to have a look at the gear selection.
Pulled up the rubber flooring and put it in to 2nd gear, then undid the 2 bolts moved the plate forward which moved the angle to a bit more perpendicular (the lower part) but still not vertical and the bar underneath is right against the front of the metal under the floor (see picture 2)

A pic of the angle of the gear stick now and as can be seen around 5 to 10 degrees:

20220423_164011.jpg

The gear linkage underneath butting up to the metal (when in 2nd gear):

20220423_164136.jpg

Still balks a bit going into gear but it does now - still crashes the gears when trying reverse though!!

The gear linkage underneath butting up to the metal (when in 2nd gear):

20220423_164136.jpg

Still balks a bit going into gear but it does now - still crashes the gears when trying reverse though!!

It looks to me as if that bracket has had a bit of a whack backwards at some point, Andy.

I will have to take another pic as it doesn't look to bad from my point of view.
Metal shard in my eye yesterday stopped play even though I was wearing safety glasses.
The doctor couldn't get it all out so putting eye cream in and will go back in a few days to see what the next move is :(

Ouch!
I've had a bit experience with metal shards, hope it gets better soon.
Been using the ointment and helps a little. Hospital rang today and my appointment is Friday so a long wait.
Came home from work today as the office and my monitors were too bright so worked with smaller monitors at home in the dark and it was workable.
Feels a lot better than this morning so fingers crossed it will be all good come Friday!

Went to the hospital yesterday and they pulled out more metal, it was quite deep into the eye he said.
Last night I was in agony - could not watch the TV or work on my laptop so at 9pm went to bed.
Today, the eye is OK and not giving me much issues - been given orders to keep away from the van by the missus so will do some gardening instead (and listen to a few tunes on the HiFi)

Should be all good (y)

Went to the hospital yesterday and they pulled out more metal, it was quite deep into the eye he said.
Last night I was in agony - could not watch the TV or work on my laptop so at 9pm went to bed.
Today, the eye is OK and not giving me much issues - been given orders to keep away from the van by the missus so will do some gardening instead (and listen to a few tunes on the HiFi)

Should be all good (y)
Glad your eye is healing. Must have been worrying. Gardening is definitely a great alternative relaxation option. I just took a good friend to see an ophthalmologist consultant re: her eye problematics. Listening to outcomes, you realise how important it is to keep them as safe as possible. Pleased you are on the mend. And pleased you are very much on the cusp of a jump in the VeeDub......getting out there ......and enjoying the summer relaxation experience. All the best. You deserve it. 👍

Glad your eye is healing. Must have been worrying. Gardening is definitely a great alternative relaxation option. I just took a good friend to see an ophthalmologist consultant re: her eye problematics. Listening to outcomes, you realise how important it is to keep them as safe as possible. Pleased you are on the mend. And pleased you are very much on the cusp of a jump in the VeeDub......getting out there ......and enjoying the summer relaxation experience. All the best. You deserve it. 👍
Thanks for your kind words.
So much to do on the van before I would venture too far and the eye issue has now prolonged the timeframe but never mind.
The redness in the eye has gone down which is good but still hurts, but on the mend which is the main thing.
Will have to get another pair of safety glasses that wrap around the eye more I suppose!!

Latest posts