Progress Pics - Dormobile X-Over

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to read that you’ve reached the end of the road on your project. I followed your gallery thread with great interest and your nice comments on our Winnie thread were always greatly appreciated. Good luck for the future 👍

Sorry to read that you’ve reached the end of the road on your project. I followed your gallery thread with great interest and your nice comments on our Winnie thread were always greatly appreciated. Good luck for the future 👍
Cheers Matty - I am sure Graham will make it good with his magic wand :sneaky:(y)

Got the bike delivered mid week and had a blast on it - was cracking :)

20220610_143907.jpg

Won tickets to the BSB race this weekend at Oulton Park - took my son with me

The racing was also very good (apart from some of the crashes today :( )

We had a tour of the pit lanes on Friday:

20220923_151112.jpg

Later on in the day we also got taken around the track in a car with one of the BSB riders (I have Danny Buchan and my son had Lee (Bob) Jackson driving us - forgot to take vids or pics of that :(

An action pic:

20220924_140243.jpg

Hmm - strange.
The new owner of the bus got in contact many months ago and said he would like to continue the thread but nothing new here - I have seen him ask a few questions so looks like he decided not too - fair enough I suppose :)

Well, I have tried to contact the admins to change the ownership of the thread as Andy suggested, but nothing back from them yet. So, I was the second person to view the Bus that Graham had for sale. The first person was put off due to the rust around the front nearside windscreen seal. As soon as I seen it I had a little walk round checked the engine ran and was amazed at the restoration that had already taken place. Thanks to Andy and his skills. I wasn't really bothered about the interior and the bits of bodywork. So the bus was named Lizzi as I put the deposit down on the day the queen died. I will start updating with the jobs completed so far. Maybe not as interesting as Andy's posts but it's nice to see that the bus is continuing on it's road to restoration. I actually didn't know this thread existed when I purchased her but decided to have a look around for some history and stumbled upon this. Amazing the power of Google.

Really glad you have bought the old girl and look forward to see you take her on new adventures :)

First job was to figure why the Winscreene wipers would only do one speed on one setting. Tested the motor by supplying live to the three points to check the motor wasn't at fault. I had all three working. Parking, first speed and second speed. That eliminated, I turned to the switch. Everything seemed to be in order. Although somoene in the past had put some sort of wax or plastic on it. I think maybe to seal the original vacuum tube to it. This was now a mess so cleaned the connectors up and put all the wires back as I thought, and as per Samba Tech wiring diagrams. After many hours of head scratching and then a 3am light bulb moment 3 weeks of messing around with the switch. I realised that the 2 black wires were the wrong way round. So two black wires on the one switch and that was the answer. Stuppid error but that was the issue. A major win for my first auto electrical solution and confidence to tackle the next job the Main Beam. The multimeter became my best friend.

Next Job was getting the lights sorted. I found a brown and white wire behind the steering/ignition area and a lose wire brown and white to connect to the other which was towards the front of the bus near the headlights. I put them together and hey presto I was in business. Everything was working. I decided at this point to take the take the indicator stalk off and give it a good spray. The only thing to hand was WD 40. Still better to clean some of the old contacts off with something I thought. So I sprayed it and put it back together after re soldering some of the dodgie looking connected soldered wires. I went to bed happy knowing that the MOTable things were getting sorted. Happy with my previous days work I went to flash the main beam the next day. It flashed once and then nothing. I wondered what it could be. I switched out the relay and still nothing. I knew everthing was connected correctly so I had to look back at the area I had sprayed the day before. So I opened it up and found that my master plan of spraying with WD 40 had back fired. The plastic material had failed probably due to the moisture fromt the WD 40. Anyway I made a video which you can see and uploaded it up onto Youtube. I think it's a smart little and cheap fix, here's the link

1972 Crossover main beam stalk fix

Next Job was getting the lights sorted. I found a brown and white wire behind the steering/ignition area and a lose wire brown and white to connect to the other which was towards the front of the bus near the headlights. I put them together and hey presto I was in business. Everything was working. I decided at this point to take the take the indicator stalk off and give it a good spray. The only thing to hand was WD 40. Still better to clean some of the old contacts off with something I thought. So I sprayed it and put it back together after re soldering some of the dodgie looking connected soldered wires. I went to bed happy knowing that the MOTable things were getting sorted. Happy with my previous days work I went to flash the main beam the next day. It flashed once and then nothing. I wondered what it could be. I switched out the relay and still nothing. I knew everthing was connected correctly so I had to look back at the area I had sprayed the day before. So I opened it up and found that my master plan of spraying with WD 40 had back fired. The plastic material had failed probably due to the moisture fromt the WD 40. Anyway I made a video which you can see and uploaded it up onto Youtube. I think it's a smart little and cheap fix, here's the link

1972 Crossover main beam stalk fix
Good cheap fix Jason, the indicator stalks on bay windows (like lots of parts) were not expected to last 50 years plus so can be a bit fragile at times, well done(y)

Happy with the fact that I was pretty competent at reading and understanding wiring diagrams I decided that I should purchase a Rev Counter. I looked around and found that all the VDO ones were big bucks. I had a look on Ebay and found an original VDO on sale untested for £40. I pinged the owner and asked why it was sold as a spares or repairs. The answer was that it was from a van that didn't have an engine in. Well I don't know much about rev counters and went on the logic that there isn't much to go wrong with them. So I put a cheeky bid in and got it delivered for £40. Once it arrived I got the Multimeter out and tested it. Well the thing was just fine. Tested it at the rear engine compartement before fitting it. Pretty straight forward to wire up. Here's my You Tube video link of it working.

Original VDO rev counter for £40 and it works

Well I found out the reason for fuel guage not working correctly. I had already tested the guage and the wire from the guage to the sender junction under the wheel arch. It was pointing to the fuels sender so I went in search of the issue. No tube on the sende and the Nichrome wire was detached. So begins the fix. Out with the multimeter and soldering iron.

Attachments

• IMG_20230226_194235.jpg
    IMG_20230226_194235.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230226_194254.jpg
    IMG_20230226_194254.jpg
Ah nice to see the new owner here updating this thread. Good luck with it and I hope to see it on the road soon

Ah nice to see the new owner here updating this thread. Good luck with it and I hope to see it on the road soon
Thanks, good to be here. She's on the road just a few things I am sorting for me to be confident before taking the family out. Although me and my 9 year old went to the swapmeet in Reditch from Cov and back.

Fuel Sender update, removal, repair and reinstall. This ended up being an easy repair and I would encourage anyone to at least have a go. I am no electronics whizz but a soldering iron and some Nichrome wire has me a working 1972 Fuel Sender. The actual fix took me a few hours as it's a real delicate and tedious job. But can be easily done. There are only a few things to do to save your Sender. The most difficult part for me was making the hole and getting the sender out. The soldering of the Nichrome wire (for info it was 0-08mm-40-awg) was tricky but it's sorted. Earthed with a wire some potentianally old dry areas. Just a few pics of the job being completed. For the full removal and how it was done here's the YT link. It's fairly lengthy

Fuel Sender Happiness

Attachments

• IMG_20230226_220309.jpg
    IMG_20230226_220309.jpg
  • IMG_20230226_213051.jpg
    IMG_20230226_213051.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230226_195939.jpg
    IMG_20230226_195939.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230226_203128.jpg
    IMG_20230226_203128.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Didn’t get to fit the new drums yesterday but did today (both sides replaced as is recommended).
Noise has gone now so I am pleased :)
Need to check the clutch pedal as it has too much movement (rocking) and rubs against the floor when pressed - hopefully easy to fix.

IMG_20220226_114433.jpg

Will then venture further (after getting a roadside assistance policy - which one is recommended?)
The Clutch peddle bolts were a little lose and the curve on the peddle was bent. Which meant It was making it do what it wanted to do. It was real nasty hearing that metal to metal. Tightened all the adjoining bolts and bent the clutch peddle back. 10 minute job but probably the most satifying as it's now silent.

Latest posts