Project Beryl, 1970 tintop resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quentinfarquar

Reaction score
I am new to van ownership and I am getting close to actually getting my hands on the van, so I thought I would start a post. I have found the other posts a great help, I am hoping this will help me with the project. I nearly bought a pop top last year, but I let practicality get the better of me. The fact I have 3 children so not enough seat belts, and that it wouldn't fit in my garage. I then decided if I didn't do it while they were young enough to enjoy the adventures I would regret it. So I bought a very tidy white westy, these pics are from the US and then the UK.

The van was in good shape and underneath it's just the same. I did consider keeping it original but paint was the only way the Mrs would consider buying it. So she was stripped and prepped for paint. I also wanted to lower the stance, but not go daft. So she was fitted with a red 9 2-4" kit at the front, and 2" plate at the back. This also meant I had a fighting chance of getting it in the garage, so it seemed better than the £1000 I was quoted for a roller door.

Lower...

The color choice was narrowed down to Savanagh Beige, neptune blue and Beryl Green. After much debate the family choice was Beryl green and the van was named. I used to have a beetle in cyber green and always liked the color, so decision made.

Inside done, roof next

Some shots of the green going on the outside and the rebuilding.

The Badge decision, it was going to be the original white and then I saw the chrome.

Ready for a road trip...

She is now having a service then I can start on the inside.

I was hoping I might have her by now. Getting registered is taking longer than I thought so the bus is currently at a garage having a bit of a service. I am hoping in time to get more hands on in the engine bay but for now I sticking with someone who knows what to do. I am hoping to get her home this week. Then it's sound proofing, flooring and headliner to be done first.

Well I have a few more progress shots now to share. First off I have started making a bubbly seat from Birch Ply, I wanted it to match the headliner and other bits I am doing. I think it will be a good balance of retro / simple design. I am pleased with the progress so far. I have also had some updated shots from the upholsters, and my cushions curtains and mats arrived.

On Tuesday I had the van delivered as still not registered, so now I can at least make a start on the inside.

Just arrived

First job was to clean the wheels and add the caps

From the front

I had to take most of the door parts off to fit her in, but she goes in fine, and will only get lower as I add the interior bits.

Started on the sound proofing last night, and cleaned up all the dash.

So I got my Jail bars fitted today.

Buddy box is varnished, just need to add the lid. Had to paint the galv strips due to a bad emulsion job and some point.

Then managed to get 2 pieces of the headliner cut and started varnishing them.

I had a little helper this afternoon!!!

I am trying to find these online, this one is cracked and the other is missing. They supply the dash air.

Yes it's registered and on the road now. Only short trips so far.

I have fitted the headliner now and works well. Just need to finish it off at the back with a top locker. I used 9 LED spots which are remote operated.

I have also made a birch table with a surf theme, I looked at the skim boards then decided to use the wood I had spare to do my own. I'm really pleased with it.

The children seem to love playing in it on the drive, I'm hoping they will enjoy it as much when it's finally finished.

So trying to push on at some pace this week as we had planned to camp in it for the next 2 weekends. But I keep finding problems to overcome, this weeks major problem is the massive gap in the bed foams. It's driving me mad this week.

Buddy box lid made and finished

I made the bed front and re made all the wood frame at the weekend. I also had to get the hinges modified so other one would sit over the wheel arch.

Speakers and seatbelts fitted.

A quick trip out in the sunshine on Tuesday with my eldest.

Well one of last weeks jobs was replacing the washer hoses as I got a wet leg when trying the clean the windows...

Some pics from the weekend of Beryl out and about an been enjoyed by the family. It was our first proper trip front the front door with all 5 of us and the gear. She made it home with no dramas and the kids loved it...

Eldest loving the fact she gets to sit up front.

Awning still not taking that magic 10 minutes, but please non the less....

Middle child gets her turn as co pilot.

Double rainbow after a massive storm on Sunday night...

Latest posts