question on early bay 1971

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waggy

Reaction score
Hello I'm new on the forum. I'm writing from Italy. I own a bay window microbus 1971 model.
I have a question that I would like to ask you. Is it possible that my bus produced the 8th september 1970 is mounting long indicator lamps at the back?
Thank you very much for your help.

Hi Waggy

Welcome to the site.

Pictures would be best to get a better idea, but the rule would be that the long tail lights didn't come into force until August 71 this also came with larger square rear air intakes and flared front doglegs (arches).

I hope this helps.

Jon

here's the pics.

http://img46.imageshack.us/i/cimg0117e.jpg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://img46.imageshack.us/i/cimg0122.jpg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with the M plate I found out that has been produced on the 8th september 1970. How can he have the long indicator lamp?? :roll:

It looks to me to have had new rear corners at some point in its life, have a good route around on the inside for signs of welding etc. If the job has been done well you could leave it as it is, otherwise there are good replacements available.

It looks to be a 71 bus (August 70 to August 71), the tall light repair panels used to be easier to come by.

Good Luck

Jon

ok thanks for your advice. I will double check if I find any signs showing that they may have changed the part sometime ago. Could it be that they already had some chassis of AUG 1971 available and used them already in the second part of 1970?

Do you have any pictures of the rear vents? Are they the half moon crescent type or do they have a more squared appearance?

Then it does sound like it hsa had new rear corners fitted and as faux said it was probably easier to get / fit later type corners

do you have a picture of the exact piece that they have changed and that maybe I can find to bring it back to the original?

Hi

This is off a split but very similar:

http://www.customandcommercial.com/details.asp?id=1501&searchprod=&Sub_Category=1333&page=&group=60&category=324" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't seem to find the correct pieces I need. i tried to find them at justkampers and vw heritage but none of the two seem to have them. Can anyone suggest me where to try? :(

I had similar problems when I (foolishly) was considering changing the rear lights to smaller ones when removating our crossover. You could try Alan Scofield.

could i just close the holes of the long indicator lamp and open another two for the new 68-71 light?

Its a little more involved as the panel is profiled for the lond light assembly so you'd need to reshape the corner

you can buy, in the uk anyway, corner clips which are originals that have been cut off US bus maybe worth getting on to some UK breakers unless you have someone similar over there

dave

Latest posts