Re wire with belly pans

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejinx

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is a re wire (by professional) feasible without removing belly pans. If it is any recommendations for someone to do the job. I am in South Wales

The only fixed belly pans are on the sides, the middle section (if fitted) and the front are easily removeable, so shouldn't be a worry.

I believe the middle belly pans on my US import '71 are welded but i would love to be proved wrong :)
May have been welded on along it’s life perhaps?
I thought they were all bolted.

Thanks @Clem!
Yup, I’ve just had mine done and they’re held on by tek screws so easily removable to check every so often. Just got side ones so far.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,might try a middle one too :)
Hi @ozziedog!
Sounds like a really sensible idea to me, as long as the seal up well and don’t act like a water, mud, crud trap themselves.
Are they DIY boltonable? Once powdercoated/ sprayed?
Or is it a Bodyshop job?
I’d be interested in any pics you may have of the install.
Thanks
Ben

Hi @ozziedog!
Sounds like a really sensible idea to me, as long as the seal up well and don’t act like a water, mud, crud trap themselves.
Are they DIY boltonable? Once powdercoated/ sprayed?
Or is it a Bodyshop job?
I’d be interested in any pics you may have of the install.
Thanks
Ben

Ok, yes for the DIY approach although I didn’t do mine as mine was in being operated on by Nick and sons at CJ Motors having floor repair s done and he mentioned he was doing his with belly pans so I said to crack on and do mine whilst there. Gotta say that as with most things, it’ll be twenty times easier with a lift / ramp and a few pairs of hands, but I don’t think I’d get a sweat on doing it myself in my garage. They painted the panels both sides with black hammerite before installation then touched up after installing. The main objective was to cover the outriggers from every little thing thrown up by the tyres which turns up to be a fair amount. There are drain holes in them as standard so they don’t end up swimming or holding wet sludge but the main beauty of them is to be able to take them down every so often and give everything a wipe around and a touch up with hammerite as required whilst inspecting the chassis and outriggers then screw them back up and touch up with paint again. I’ll try some pics when I’m off or I’ll get him up on the ramps another time and take some shots. I’m doing some other stuff involving wiring etc then I may even go for central pans too. :cool:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,not sure why I didn’t do this years ago :) :unsure::)

The only fixed belly pans are on the sides, the middle section (if fitted) and the front are easily removeable, so shouldn't be a worry.
The centre pans on Sunroof Deluxes and factory highroofs are welded on from the factory, how do i know:ROFLMAO:

Is a re wire (by professional) feasible without removing belly pans. If it is any recommendations for someone to do the job. I am in South Wales
We use electrical cable pull rods to pull cables through the belly pans, if you still have the 'tube' in tact its a relatively easy job to pull the new loom through once the old one has been removed, its just a bit fiddly. We've done quite a few over the years.

I have rewired my bus, (69 Californian panel)The loom is clamped in, along that area of belly pans. Unless it’s welded in, I would remove. Also inspect chassis etc….
I had a 69 Devon which had these pans installed. I don’t like them as they hold in moisture and cover up all kinds of things. When I removed mine, there were no chassis rails, floor supports, jacking points or heater tube left!
Unless these are sealed from air and proper protection on the metal, I would leave off in my opinion

Mine been welded I still rang a wire front to back. I shall post a picture i just drilled a a hole at either end of where the belly pans rang and just ran a 'fishing' wire to pull the wire through - quite simple.

There purpose was to reinforce the body for the vans with a hole on the roof - Deluxe, Hitop, and Westfalia.
That’s interesting- mine were fully welded in (Dormobile) but was worth taking off as about 5” of chassis gas pretty much rotted away underneath. 😳

Latest posts