Rear brakes

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gearyboy6

Reaction score
Im restoring my 71 bay so i want to check out the rear brakes. I cant remove the nut to remove the rear drum. So far ive tried wd40, heat, hammer and a large piece of scaffolding to gain more leverage and nothing is working. Im tempted to get the grinder on the nut but before i do that any suggestions??

Thanks Matt

the first time i removed mine i had to put a blow torch on it constantley, rest the braker bar on an axle stand put a scaff bar on it and heave my tads offs. i dont think mine had been off since new :lol: . have fun

Havnt got an air gun and when I used the scaffolding the wheel turned as my engine and gearbox are out! It's the nut u see when hub cap removed with the split pin in

but if its a 71,as stated,you dont need to take of hub nut to remove drum if its small 5 wheels .just undo the 2 bolts that hold drum to flange ,prob rusted on though :roll: lots of wd and shock with large hammer ;)

Its a crossover model, big back lights and low down indicators on the front, il have a look, thanks

71> no need just remove the two small bolts, its much easier...

you have a 72 XO so same, as long as its not been wide 5'd

Here you go,

1968-70 rear hub

1968-70.jpg

1971-79 rear hub

1971-79.jpg

A workshop manual's a good investment. ;)

The 2 no.3's hold the drum on, dont forget to back the star adjusters off from the rear to release the shoes from the drum a bit, no.15, x 2

As sparky says get a manual or at least a heritage catalogue :mrgreen:

they are available for a few quid, if you are struggling and want it off chop it.
but as said above looks like there is no real need to if you are just doing the brakes

What do you mean by you hope so? Are you turning it clockwise or anti clockwise?

I've got a feeling that is tightening it, but I could well be wrong.

I had trouble getting mine off around this time last year.... mine is a '71, and as others on here have said, you only need to back of the shoes with the adjusters, undo bolts 2 & 3 (11mm spanner IIRC) and use an ample sized tool to give it a knock... and I do me knock! It took several bigs whacks witha 4lb lump hammer to get mine off.. others have suggested a sledgehammer!

You do not need to undo the hub nut..

Yesterday got the drums off, looks like they had been off recently as the drums came off really easily, thanks for all advice people! So is it anti clockwise?

Latest posts