Rear hatch lid not staying open

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallingoffalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rear hatch has never stayed up on its own. Never really been a problem as I very rarely need to open it, but I would like to fix it.
The problem appears to be a leaver that attaches to the torsion spring is simply missing on one side.

6e041ace71d00134b56739c6b297ed9e.jpg

Does anyone have one on a scrap door or know where to look to get one. I've no idea if it's even possible to repair. I could even fabricate one?

0e6ef5d5649d50379dadc51f7bb468dc.jpg

It's the bit attached to the springs I need - can't find them for sale anywhere
6a17b8184a0b0d6975dca44f9e7ffa20.jpg

Hiya bud. Please stay well away from that unless you know what you’re doing. This is not a simple repair and these springs are under so much pressure, this is maybe why it’s been left as it is. Was the previous owner missing any fingers or a hand even ?
That’s said, now go extremely careful, are we talking about a number seven bracket?
I should imagine all the likely second hand suspects will have them like Rusty down on the coast or that crew down in Swansea. Might be worth getting the screws too.
This isn’t an easy and straightforward job which is why it’s been left I would imagine

Ozziedog,,,,,,, now count your fingers before you start :mrgreen:

Yeah I know what you mean I've been watching some how-to vids on YouTube. Some guy even put a motorbike helmet on to do it. I'll move it a bit further down the to-do list!
I'll try and fix my sliding door lock instead.

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk