Rear Hub Bearings question

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webbaldo

Reaction score
Ive just replaced the bearings in one of my rear hub bearing housings and I'm not happy with it. (Haven't refitted it yet on bus)

I've got the later style 71 onwards bearings. I packed them full of grease, pressed them in, fitted circlip/fitted bearing spacer, then the splined shaft.

Theres minimal 12/3/6/9 play as expected but when you turn it over by hand you feel the occasional 'rough' feeling.

Its not a tightspot as its random, I wouldn't go as far as to say it feels like a grinding, but it just doesn't feel as nice as I would expect (never done a rear one before, just front ones)

Suppose you could say every few turns there is a very mild random grinding feeling by hand?

Am I missing something or any ideas?

Not sure if this thread will be any help but Adam appears to have found some good quality bearings
Much improved from the usual crap stuff supplied

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=70657" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just for an update, seeing as these are late bearings, not early

Just got the meyle ones from VWH today and side by side they seem a lot nicer, smoother than the FEBI/JK ones. Both have german stamped on them but the cage on the outer bearing seems better made.

Don't be fooled by the Febi brand. They may be German labelled but the quality of some of their stuff is pretty poor, like rubber that lasts 3 months. Why not send the bearings back and get a refund? Why should suppliers get away with this? They will never up their game unless people hit them with demands for refunds.

I replaced my rears (72 model so same as yours) a short while ago and the outer bearing simply did not fit together once the inner race was pressed into place. The 2 parts fitted together fine when out of the hub so it was obviously getting "squashed" into the hub, crimping the inner race to a point that it was out of tolerance. I went back to the supplier who swapped it no problem and the replacement worked fine (different brand).

Can't honestly remember which brand was good/bad but it shows that there is poor quality out there...

The bugger is when you've fitted them you cant really get the outers out to return without knacking them.

In the end my second set of Febi's fit ok with no play or tightness

Both sets of meyle ones I had were too tight.

The first set of febis fit but were crap quality

Second lot seem a bit better made.

I rang VWH about the issue with the Meyle ones and they've give me 50% refund. I can kinda understand both sides, for all they know I could be an idiot fitting them wrong.

Least I got something back.

Latest posts