recommended insulation for a bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally would not insulate heard a few stories of condensation caused by insulating panels mate,dont think the benefits are worth it too much glass anyway... :(

My 2c, definitely worth it! We did ours and the difference before and after is very noticeable. We used the foil lined bubble type insulation. It doesn't hold water and is very light weight but has a similar "R" rating to fibre glass batts. And if you use decent thermal lining for your curtains you should stay toasty warm. RE condensation, just like your house air it out well when you wake up in the morning...simples!

A link for the foil insulation is here: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/westcountry-campervans?_trksid=p4340.l2563" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (ebay store). Found the service excellent. He also sells sound proofing which works great as well.

All the best!

haha... you are getting both sides of the story on this one! Also, to answer the rest of your question, I did the sides and the roof. I think the roof is very important to keep you cool from the sun in summer and keep the warmth in during cold times. Obviously, this advise is only of any use if you are redoing your head lining.

Anyone have any recomendations for the type of glue to use on the roof panel?

I've done this in the past with a golf using dynamat "type" material and it started sagging after a few years with the sun.

I'm guessing some sort of high temp contact adhesive rather than just your standard spray glue etc.

Dynamat isn't a thermal insulation it's just for sound deadening. But regarding adhesion, I think the answer is in your post when you say...dynamat "type" material. There are a lot of poor substitutes out there including some folk who will state that you can get the same results using everything from flash tack to roofing tiles! - like most things in life, you get what you pay for. If you use genuine Dynamat applied as directed and make sure you rub the surface down well with ethyl alcohol or white spirits first you wont have any problems with sagging. One other tip, for very large areas like the roof, you don't need to cover the whole surface. Squares of about 1.5 x 1.5 ft works great and wont put too much weight where you don't want it. HTH's!

I used to foil type too. Works very well. used it everywhere I could squeeze it in. I also cavity waxed the panels before hand with valvoline tectyl. For the roof, I gaffer taped the insulation in place. The westy wooden head liner keeps it in place.

Humphrey said:
Dynamat isn't a thermal insulation it's just for sound deadening. But regarding adhesion, I think the answer is in your post when you say...dynamat "type" material. There are a lot of poor substitutes out there including some folk who will state that you can get the same results using everything from flash tack to roofing tiles! - like most things in life, you get what you pay for. If you use genuine Dynamat applied as directed and make sure you rub the surface down well with ethyl alcohol or white spirits first you wont have any problems with sagging. One other tip, for very large areas like the roof, you don't need to cover the whole surface. Squares of about 1.5 x 1.5 ft works great and wont put too much weight where you don't want it. HTH's!

Cheers dude, It was actualy brown bread I used which trust me isnt cheap..

I wont be using a dynamat type product in the van, that was simply an example because I had it happen to me (sagging) in a Golf (which yes was for sound deadening not insulation). A modern car is also obviously a lot more forgiving since its got a hard headliner.

I was intending on using the foil type wrapping on the roof, hence why I asked what glue to use 8)

Maybe I wasnt clear enough.

As an expansion to the windows thing.
I've just bought a full set of those thermal panels that stick to the windows,gave them a whirl the other night n they did make a difference.:)

Humphrey said:
My 2c, definitely worth it! We did ours and the difference before and after is very noticeable. We used the foil lined bubble type insulation. It doesn't hold water and is very light weight but has a similar "R" rating to fibre glass batts. And if you use decent thermal lining for your curtains you should stay toasty warm. RE condensation, just like your house air it out well when you wake up in the morning...simples!

A link for the foil insulation is here: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/westcountry-campervans?_trksid=p4340.l2563" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (ebay store). Found the service excellent. He also sells sound proofing which works great as well.

All the best!

How many rolls does it take for a T2?
Cheers, gav

Latest posts