Red 9 beam & rods - bit sloppy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VeeDubMan

Reaction score
Had a Red 9 beam on my van for years now (but never driven it until I took it to be MOT a couple of months back) and it turns out there's a fair bit of play in the torsion arms moving in the tube. Grab hold of the disc/wheel top and bottom and you can hear the torsion arms knocking inside the tube.

Got bearings on the outer edge but just wondering if I've missing some inner bearings? Not sure if the Red 9 beam has them and pretty sure the beam came pre-installed with outer bearings fitted.

Got exactly the same symptom as this theard http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/archive/index.php?t-371170.html and I've tightened up the grub screws as much as possible and still get some play and knock.

Any ideas?

I have seen 3 busses where the front end has sheared off allowing the wheel to point at 90 deg and end up rammed in the arch because the grub screws were done up tight ....never liked the red 9 coil over set up :lol:

That bloke is the previous owner of my bus... There's no play now. Have you made sure you popped off the arm end caps when you fitted the set up? They might not be fitted to the rod fully?

rlepecha said:
That bloke is the previous owner of my bus... There's no play now. Have you made sure you popped off the arm end caps when you fitted the set up? They might not be fitted to the rod fully?

Had the same problem with my old set-up...needed the end caps taking out for the arms to go on far enough to allow the grub screws to locate properly....I only realised when one bar punched the end cap out for me while cornering!

Latest posts