Removing brushed on paint to reveal OG paint

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike.s

Reaction score
Hi,

Has anyone any tips on removing nasty paint jobs applied over OG pain, but preserving the orginal paint?

My van has had a nasty paint job on it at some point. From what i can see, it has been sprayed with a grey primer first, then brush painted thickly with white, black and a lovely purpley colour!

There a quite a few thread s on the the samba, but these are centred around products made in the US. Any recommendations with UK products?

I find with mine, a razor blade tends to nick the og paint (and also is very very time consuming!), wet sanding with 600 grit seems the best at the mo, but is very slow progress aswell .
Also tried grafitti remover, but didn`t even touch it and also nitromors, which all also had no affect!

Incidentally, i did spray the graffiti remover on some engine tinware and it started peeling the old black paint off pretty quick.

I thin the old brush stuff on the van is pretty hardy!

Here some of my paint -
IMG_20170502_170053.jpg

IMG_20170502_195328.jpg

A pals just done his project using Razor blades and then sanding. It came out pretty well but took time

please check out or Facebook page and you can see a jaguar xk120 ,we got this back to original paint with gun wash and graffiti remover from B+Q .
Midlandpaintwerks

7aa25d4248eaf37e1586fd9f14d78e71.jpg

Did this with carefully applied nitromors wire wool and graffiti remover from b&q took a while and lots of elbow grease

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acetone & wire wool did it for me

acetone - woah! Need gloves to put that on!

I found out why my graffiti remover didn`t even mark it - its some 'eco' kack thats all friendly and watered down! Going to go on ebay and find some hardcore stuff :)

Looked in two b and qs which both said in stock on website, but neither could find it !

Well, i tried a couple of other graffitti removers but they didn`t even touch any of it!

I eventually got the air sander with 600 grit wet and dry on it - this would take it back until the og paint just started to show thoruhg, then i`d carry on by hand.
Not great pics, but you can see this approach seems to work for large flat areas. I think the small curvy bits will take time!

IMG_20170611_112847.jpg

IMG_20170611_112902.jpg

Gloves is a must for acetone otherwise you'll loose your skin also ! [emoji51]

Latest posts