Repair sections for Front - Best = who these days?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubdubz

Reaction score
So not welded up anything bus shaped for 10 + years but the 68 will need a repair or 2 under the screen and also the very bottom valance bit is looking bubbly on the very edge

as I intend to do it properly and only once in my ownership - who makes the best panels for these locations?

or do I speak to someone like FBI and get an original section cut?

thanks in advance

I’ve got the repair sections brand new from one of the suppliers. It’s just so much tosh. I’d get an original cut if you can. I cut out each tiny rusted section and made pieces to weld in and did it slow to finish continuous and buff out. While you’re piddling about down there, might be worth moth balling your original screen and getting a laminated one because the toughened one can be a liability and the recovery companies aren’t sympathetic to shot screens. Worse case scenario with a laminated one is a crack but you still get home without frostbite :lol: if it’s a bad bad section, then get a cut otherwise make sections from good original steel :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,and get sorted soon cus summers on its way :mrgreen:

It should say down in the corner I think, but maybe only if it’s laminated, I’d have a good look but you can tell laminated usually when looking at the edges, not sure if that’s after a cut though.

Ozziedog,,,,,,, more research needed I think :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
It should say down in the corner I think, but maybe only if it’s laminated, I’d have a good look but you can tell laminated usually when looking at the edges, not sure if that’s after a cut though.

Ozziedog,,,,,,, more research needed I think :mrgreen:

edge on is easy - can't get to the 'spare' to compare
I cannot think the one is original that is in it, but I'll have a check in the morning..

I guess you could look at the rear, which will be toughened and if you can see the dots with your Polaroid’s on, you could then hold the screen in a similar position to verify.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, just get a new one on insurance! :mrgreen:

As we all seemed to have a science fiction stasis/sleep for 2 years. I’m going to do these repairs this year now.

I did some Sunday night research and was shocked on the lack of options. Which I figure is probably me not looking properly.

Going to ring fbivw, see what they have…I do wonder if the surface rust I can see will have also mullered the inside valance panel too, but won’t know until I look. I do have a usb endoscope that may help here before I cut huge chunks off!

So panels, who best in 2022?

We only buy repair panels from Schofields and always buy the best quality ones available, they offer the 3 piece repair for under the screen but it’s often easier to go for the upper panel repair se room which includes the bulge. For the lower section they make their own inner and outer lower valance which are good.

I’ve always thought that Klassic Fab panels were the best and nearest to OG you could buy, they used to do a panel that was just the bulge under the windscreen but C&C don’t appear to have that in stock at the mo, just the lower 11 inch. Mine turned out to just be some some holes under the windscreen when it was cleaned up, so I made some little repair pieces and welded them in instead of replacing the lot, might not be as bad as you think until you get it cleaned up?

We only buy repair panels from Schofields and always buy the best quality ones available, they offer the 3 piece repair for under the screen but it’s often easier to go for the upper panel repair se room which includes the bulge. For the lower section they make their own inner and outer lower valance which are good.
Thanks Graham really useful

I’ve always thought that Klassic Fab panels were the best and nearest to OG you could buy, they used to do a panel that was just the bulge under the windscreen but C&C don’t appear to have that in stock at the mo, just the lower 11 inch. Mine turned out to just be some some holes under the windscreen when it was cleaned up, so I made some little repair pieces and welded them in instead of replacing the lot, might not be as bad as you think until you get it cleaned up?
Klassicfab was my first thought and I followed the same route as you described.

Agree with Graham. I've used both funky green and Schofield's. Both are good, but Schofield's are more easily available.

It was several years back but I used the Classic Fab funky green bulge section when I did mine... The guage and shape were pretty good... However I ended up having to cut it down and use just the very top part because either the positions of the holes for the washer jets or the wipers were not in the right place... can't remember which? Think it might have been a lhd versus rhd issue?
So something to look out for if you do go that route.

just bringing this up as my tardiness has wained enough to get the engine out and a view of the rear corner I need to repair. As its a 68 and US and only minimum crustyness I am thinking using sections as opposed to a big metal removal operation...issue is that I kind of need below the tray line and then up inboard of the rear light....

FG are not available, so who people recommend next and it seems a little overkill to get a half corner with light aperture when I need only part of that....in part as there is battle scars that I'd like to keep as opposed to destroy ....

hmmm
pictures will help - so I'll grab some and get some opinions

Latest posts