Replace floor in my Westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milfredo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to replace my laminate floor with some marine ply. I’d like to do a single layer rather than the factory double (unless there is a good reason to do two layers).

What size and thickness board was would I need?

Cheers,
Will

I have a layer of the silver insulating foil on the base then an single layer of 5 mm ply with vinyl flooring on top. Can't feel the floor indentations through that...

I have 9mm lower ply to level out the metal floor, then a 6mm larger piece to fit up to the rock and roll seat etc. It's just normal birch ply, not marine ply. I can't see why marine ply would be needed for the floor, which will be covered I assume with a vinyl surface.

A few years ago just after removing all the flooring, my OG westy water tank sprung a leak and soaked everything under the vinyl top layer! Fortunately apart from it being a total pita taking out all the furniture for the second time in a few weeks, everything was OK, and the ply dried out. Needless to say I removed the large water tank after that!

As above the reason it's a double thickness is to level the floor out, where the inner sills sit is higher than the load floor itself and will cause you issues if your do it as a single piece, 9mm and 6mm ply is what you need but to get it out of a sheet of 8x4 the joins will show, it's ok if you are putting vinyl down afterwards though

Do this save weight and also insulate before the top layer of 10 mm

Attachments

• DSCF1838.JPG
    DSCF1838.JPG
    590.1 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF1869.JPG
    DSCF1869.JPG
    601.3 KB · Views: 1
  • DSCF1871.JPG
    DSCF1871.JPG
    599.7 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts