Replacing Alternator without removing 36mm fan nut?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walt

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evening,

Some background...
Driving home the other night noticed my generator light dimly lit. Was worse with wipers going. Then yesterday bus started with sharp wine/screech noise from engine bay. G light still dim. Checked it over once it was running but no other sounds. Then last night start it failed to start at all - could hear the solenoid clicking on the starter but not enough to turn engine over. Checked battery (only couple of years old) was 11.3v.
So battery is now on charge, spoke to vw mechanic who usually works on my engine & like I thought he says it sounds like the alternator is on its way out. Spent the last few hours reading up on alternator removal (Muir, YouTube etc). Also ordered a replacement alternator - arrives tomorrow.

In the meantime I thought I'd save time tomorrow by removing the alternator tonight.

So....Do you have to remove the 36mm nut from the back of the fan to get the alternator out? Is it possible to get the alternator/backing plate/fan out as one or is there not enough space? Reason being I've got a breather box mounted above the fan on the firewall and access to the nut is quite difficult.

Should say I've got twin carbs so no problem with having to remove the carb, although I might have to loosen the hex bar.

Any advice?!
Thanks!

Much easier with twin carbs. You need to remove the oil filler to get it out though. Undo the screw that holds the fan housing on so you can lift it up and unscrew the rod from the thermostat. Then with the oil filler off and the carb linkage out the way you should have enough room to wriggle it out

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

When I rebuilt my engine I removed the 4 studs that hold the alternator on and replaced them with bolts so to work on the alternator makes it much easier lol. 👍

montypsx said:
When I rebuilt my engine I removed the 4 studs that hold the alternator on and replaced them with bolts so to work on the alternator makes it much easier lol. [emoji106]
I did the same :) chances are I'll never need to work on the alternator now.....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

montypsx said:
When I rebuilt my engine I removed the 4 studs that hold the alternator on and replaced them with bolts so to work on the alternator makes it much easier lol. 👍

Thanks 67Westy/Monty.

Woah!
Never thought about actually undoing the studs that secure the alternator stand. Good idea! That would be much easier to work with.

So in theory, with the metal alternator strap loosened & the backing plate nuts removed, if I then removed the stand & studs,the alternator (plus backing plate & fan) should just pull forward & come out OK? Is that right?

Yes, I had to do this job and Stuf gave me good advice. Undue the nuts holding the doghouse fan housing in place. This gives a bit of wiggle room. Word of warning, this can be fiddle to put back but not really a hard job. See the thread below

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=74864&p=596622#p596140
Copy and paste the link into your search engine

67westy yeah l get where your comin from lol but just removing them 4 studs makes life soooo much easier

Latest posts