Replacing dynamo with alternator

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marriedblonde

Reaction score
After being trailored home friday night due to a knackered dynamo i am planning to replacevit with an alternator kit.

I assume all the kits come from the same place, so do i just go with the 55 amp kit or do i go for the 70? I believe the dynamo when working is just 30amps.

I am planning on fitting a leisure battery and i have a stereo in thrre

Thanks.

J.

I only just replaced my Dynamo in June due to the rear bearing failing, had the option of going with a Alternator but being a bit of a Old Sckooler decided to stay with the Dynamo & it wasn't a cheap one £130 exchange.
I have 12v transformer/charger built into my system so when on Hookup on site or at home the Leisure Battery & Slave are fully charged.
Get a decent Split/Charge relay J as IMO the money is best off spent here unless your running a Daily.

Thanks Brett, I am struggling to get an alternator anyway for the weekend (I don't want to miss grill 'n chill)

When you say a decent split charge relay I am assuming you mean avoid the £40 wiring kits that include a realy that everyone offers?

J.

Alternator all the way for me. Fitted a 55 amp one to mine a few years ago after my gen died. run a leisure battery and stereo, and its always been fine. From memory i used all the bits in the kit. One thing to bear in mind though, If you run a standard carb you may need a carb spacer as the diameter of the alternator is bigger than a gen. This impedes the throttle linkage. Some people grind clearance on the alt to get round this. I didn't want to do that!

Marriedblonde said:
Thanks Brett, I am struggling to get an alternator anyway for the weekend (I don't want to miss grill 'n chill)

When you say a decent split charge relay I am assuming you mean avoid the £40 wiring kits that include a realy that everyone offers?

J.

Have a look at this thread bud, the £40 ones are OK just limited just depends on what you want or need for. I'm going to wire in a solar charger roof mat the same size as a Bay's roof just roll it out on top & connect, I'm getting one of the Boffins at work on it. :lol:
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=39707&hilit=leisure+batt+charger" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts