Replacing sliding door seal?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petesavan

Reaction score
I need to replace the sliding door seal on my 1968 bay. Which is the best make of seal to buy, a few people have said that the ones from Status are very good? Is this a difficult job? I don't really know where to start so I'd be very grateful for some basic instructions as to the best way to tackle it. :mrgreen:

Buy cheap and pay twice is the usual advice. Status and c&c are always good, buy the expensive ones.

I bought mine from VWH. Take the advice given and don't buy ANY cheap rubbers, they're just not worth it.
Took my door off and inserted the new one. No adhesive required on my '71 LHD.

Viewib seals are the one's to go for. Status and C and C sell them. I ended up just cutting the rubber once and then fitted without taking the slider off.

Tip: Lift the rear hinge off the track and rest the rear corner on a chair. You can then thread the seal over the door and it's easier to push the rear vertical part of the seal into the slot.

So it just pushes in all the way round does it? There are no special clips or glue involved anywhere? As for suppliers, I've found the Status website alright but can anyone give me a link to the C&C one because I'm not familiar with that and haven't been able to find it?

As ZedBed said , i would not remove the door fully as getting it back and sitting right is a pain ,

I'm not sure if it "needs" glue , but i put some Evo-Stick on mine just to be safe ! 8)

I fitted mine the other week and did it as follows.
Unbolt bottom runner for door, slide seals past and bolt up again

Unbolt top runner slide seal past and bolt up again.

Fit seal no glue needed, but did waxyoil behind lower part of seal.

All worked fine and fits a treat, door open and closes as good as before.

All my door seals have come from the JK best quality range, I have been very pleased with them and the fit has been good.
Having fitted status seals in the past on a late bay i had, i would say they were just as good.

Whole job took about 20 mins inc removal of old seal.

Hope that helps
Sam

Done mine today, took a bit longer than I thought but didn't go too bad. Although as you look at the door (right hand side) it seems to stick out a bit.
D99AA2EF-7F04-454A-B288-89208107C3EC-9593-000007F50C865AFA.jpg

73B13F04-8474-4298-95F0-900D889DAAF3-9593-000007F50353F1F5.jpg

Doesnt look right to me, any ideas?

Ross

Sliding door seal should only be fitted the right way round, there is a flap that should sit at the rear of the sliding door.

Yep, nearly fitted the other way :roll:

I did really slam the door today and it shut flush but wondered if there is any more adjustment or that its because its a new seal?

Latest posts