Replacment plywood in a westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uber cool

Reaction score
Since the oil pressure switch thread is knackered on my engine (see other thread) and its not going anywhere at the mo. I decided to strip the carpet out and replace with lino. Anyway got a bit carried away and stripped the interior completey and now going to replace all the birch ply on the sliding door and side panels.

Question is what have others treated the wood with? i'm thinkng of using linseed oil? as I want to bring out the grain, but dont want a horrible clear glass varnish finish.

I've just done mine. Sanded the ply with wet&dry then used varnish from Wickes. It is a beech satin finish rather than gloss and its finished with a near identical colour to the original. I used the piece covering the tailgate hinges as a guide, as the main headliner panel in the back overlaps the hinge cover so you get an idea of what it would have looked like new where its been protected from the elements.

Hope thats of some use.

Hi,

I used 3mm for the roof and the sides.
I think 4mm is to thick for the sides, because of the length of the clips that hold it.

Here is the result http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11395" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used a Ronseal stain on mine, it was a satin stain rather than varnish so soaks into the ply protecting it rather than coating it, so it looks aged and natural. I was pleased with the way it turned out.

uber cool said:
Clem, have you got a photo of the stained panel? which shade did you use, thanks

Yes, Ill post some up (I cant use Photobucket at work!). I have the stain can in my workshop so will check what it was ..... the workshop is up the top of a big hill in the woods so it may be a day or two!!

Heres the colour -

100_2088.jpg

Ill check the exact stain when I can!

Thanks Clem.

I've gone for a similar stain 'Mellow Pine' but much the same shade, wasn't to keen on having it plain.

Latest posts