Restoring my '71 bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

type2tattoo

Reaction score
I have owned CyByL for nearly 20 years but sadly she has been off the road for 12 while all my cash went into bringing up my 3 sons, that jobs done so now I have started to rebuild her......

March09192-1.jpg

March09178.jpg

Laurie has rebuilt the engine for me :) it will be a while before that goes in but I am hoping to get her on the road for Vanfest :eek:

March09370.jpg

Took the floor out last weekend, it could be worse....

March09381.jpg

Most of its really bad but, there is a lot that is relatively untouched by rust, the roof and all the gutters are ok and windows have no rust, also behind the fuel tank is pretty clean and the panels behind the dash

March09318.jpg

March09392.jpg

April09255.jpg

Not sure what to do witht the front panel, obviously needs the bottom replaced...

April09258.jpg

I have always done as much as I can on my vans (sold my other early bay to fund this one) but this is a hell of a project for me, unfortunately I can't weld but have a good friend who is doing that, I will be needing as much advice as I can get :)

looks like your in for alot of work for sure, what plans have you got? interior etc?

Hi Johnny :) I havn't even begun to think about the interior, or the paint job, might get as far as throwing a mattress in the back and maybe rubbing off the green tractor paint for Vanfest, getting it on the road is my focus at the mo. I'm not much of a girl really, should be thinking about curtains lol

Its dangerous to your camera keeping it in your toolbox lol but I got some of todays action anyway......

GlennsXULnAnglersgig192.jpg

DSC09821.jpg

DSC09840.jpg

JK panels are a shit fit....

DSC09835.jpg

DSC09847.jpg

DSC09846.jpg

Getting somewhere .......... slowly :D

DSC09853.jpg

Good on ya fella, nice to see your bus making its way back to the road, will be nice to see how you progress.

noddy said:
Good on ya fella, nice to see your bus making its way back to the road, will be nice to see how you progress.

Thanks :) ....I am a girl btw;) progress has been slow lately because I had trouble finding the middle sill stregthener for the sliding door side and then had my wrist in plaster for a couple of weeks :( been collecting parts though and have all the panels I need except the floor now, has anyone got experience of replacing the whole floor? would you go for the JK one or spend a fair bit more on a Schofield one?

Would love to see any pics of a floor replacement.

Back on it tomorrow, maybe the rear wheel arch cos I have to wait till Tuesday for the inner sill, then the last 1/4 of the chassis can be done

Made some progress today :)

June09441.jpg

June09440.jpg

June09433.jpg

June09443.jpg

June09448.jpg

June09453.jpg

June09454.jpg

June09458.jpg

June09460.jpg

June09463.jpg

I also got a lot of bits off xul, window wipers, door mech's etc.... there is still an awful lot to do :0

Bugger! tried to organise my pics and cocked it all up <_< They are all out of sync but here.....

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/type2tattoo/CyByLs%20Restoration/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Been busy :) ........

August09CyByLnMalms005.jpg

August09CyByLnMalms008.jpg

August09CyByLnMalms019.jpg

August09CyByLnMalms017.jpg

August09CyByLnMalms018.jpg

August09CyByLnMalms025.jpg

August09CyByLnMalms028.jpg

August09CyByLnMalms030.jpg

August09CyByLnMalms032.jpg

August09CyByLnMalms132.jpg

I can't weld or grind, but I am good at getting tools, sweeping up, making tea and taking pics when I'm not rubbing rust off .....

August09CyByLnMalms264.jpg

August09CyByLnMalms265.jpg

August09CyByLnMalms266.jpg

August09CyByLnMalms298.jpg

August09CyByLnMalms306.jpg

..... and these guys are going to be doing my paintjob.....

August09CyByLnMalms251.jpg

http://www.motorgraphix.co.uk/

:D

I have plans now for my paint job ;) the bumpers, dash cap and board, engine hanger and front pedal belly pan are all being shot blasted and powder coated old english white :) maybe tinwear, fan shroud etc too

New floor went in last weekend :D it took a fair bit of fiddling as they only supply LHD split ones but its looking good, the top hat and H sections went in and we only have the outriggers to do and a repair on the main chassis rail to do in the cargo section ...

Sept09142.jpg

Sept09147.jpg

Nigel found a dent on the long panel from the inside and bashed it out and the biggest lump of filler you have ever seen fell off, it was an inch thick in some places lol

Sept09145.jpg

Start to finish pics are here.... http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/typ...%20Restoration/

Done a bit today :) sadly no welding cos Nige had a stream of customers but I got on with this........

September09023.jpg

with this.....

September09034.jpg

its a great little tool, put the compresser on it and it sand blasts rust off perfectly. Its a bit slow and messy ....... I had half a pound of sand down my bra when I got home :lol: but it gets to little paces that would be impossible to get to

September09027.jpg

After a lot of breaks to let the compresser have a rest, I only had a small patch to do

September09030.jpg

but Nige had to get off so we gave it a quick coat of paint just to stop it rusting , it looks a lot better anyway :)

September09031.jpg

Coming along :D

2 left side splitty floor sections - where did you get them from as remind me not to use them ;)

Also, what paint you used after sand blasting - remember, normal paint is porous.. should be covered with the correct type of paint!!u

gninnam said:
Coming along :D

2 left side splitty floor sections - where did you get them from as remind me not to use them ;)

Also, what paint you used after sand blasting - remember, normal paint is porous.. should be covered with the correct type of paint!!u

Sorry missed your reply :oops: she's had a quick top coat over the primer for now but it doesn't look good so I didn't post a pic

More welding tomorrow :D

Latest posts