Restoring my '71 bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like it was a random fuel line failure :/ I have been checking the footage and she was on fire for about ten minutes, luckily the fire station was really close and they got to her in about 5 minutes. The photo below shows how near the fire got to the fuel tank, looks like the firewall worked.

I did use my fire extinguisher, down the fins and underneath but there was lots of popping etc so I was not going to open the engine hatch. It might have slowed it down a little but there was no way a medium size extinguisher was going to put it out.

Check your fuel lines people! x x x

Really sorry to hear this, hope you are able to salvage your bus, there is a early bay patina "fire" bus with it all buffed up.

It's quite possible to repair it up maybe, as long as you are all safe, that's the main thing.

Alistair

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

So sorry for what has happened to your bus and glad no one was injured.
Fingers crossed for you.

After all this it looks like the insurance company will take us down :( They assessed CyByL as a category B write off which means she cannot, legally, go back on the road :( Jeez I am tired of fighting but I will fight for her like I have for my sons! I might need some help though, anyone know an independant assessor? Help! :(

Ah bummer forgot to update this as well as the 'arguing a cat B' thread :/ They have agreed to make her a cat 'C' after lots of arguing and I can now get on with rebuilding her again :)

So after everything I am now having to take Adrian Flux and Ageas to the insurance ombudsman :( They valued all this work at 8 and a half grand and took 25% back for me to keep her :( Absolute soulless a%&sr!!!! etc ..... It's so hard just to keep breathing after losing my wonderful son :( Don't expect any humanity from your brokers or their underwriters! :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-hampshire-40734284/eastleigh-mum-runs-legacy-festival-in-tribute-to-son

Absolutely gutted for you.
I would agree that a valuation of middle teens seems fair. Was it on an agreed value policy?
The insurance companies are the biggest waste of space ever and I really hope you get the correct result.

Update ..... 6 months later and the insurance are still being difficult :/ I will explain all when I have time but in the mean time, check your fuel lines and get an agreed valuation and don't forget to send in the paperwork ;) x x x

Surely if you have spent £10k to rebuild a bus which already had its own intrinsic worth then it is worth at least £10k before you start to haggle? You don't need an independent valuation to know at least that!

Just read this thread from start to finish and I am blown away by your grit and determination to get it done. I'm sure the loss of any one of my kids would destroy me. You deserve some luck to go your way re - the insurance company in the very least. Tell them you'll happily accept the valuation if they can find you another with the same amount of work done and to the same standard as yours had carried out.

My thought go out to you and your family and wish you all the best in the future with the vultures!

Lyn

Latest posts