Reversing Lights? Do they have them?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crammy69

Reaction score
I've a LHD US Import 1972 crossover bay, and after nearly 10 years of ownership just noticed the reversing lights didn't come on. I replaced the bulbs, but notice the old ones whilst dirty looks totally intact. Anyway today I had a mechanic friend take a look and whilst there are wires coming from the back of the light cluster, he said there was no switch on the gearbox - so couldn't see how they would have ever worked. Is this just my bus or did they not have reversing lights?

As Wiggy says above ^^^ they was stock on US stuff. It’s possible that the switch was iffy on the box so they scrapped it but more likely the box was changed at some time and they didn’t think to change the switch too or it may have even been stuck in the old box. Any of the fitments on the box can cause problems by getting stuck with age, which is why it’s recommended to make sure you have the filler plug removed before you empty the box of oil . Happens regularly that peeps drain the oil then can’t get the filler plug undone. The switch is fairly easy, but have a look for the wiring near the box, it’ll maybe be tucked up somewhere close by.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,reversing lights, ,,,,impressive stuff :) ;) :)

My imported early bay from California had them fitted, although I have repurposed them as indicators. Switch was on the gearbox, power feed came from coil terminal and large screw together fuse holder mounted on tinware.

It was a weird option on the post 72 buses with tall rear lights. Every bus had them as part of the light units but only those that ‘had them’ got the switch and wires.

Many of the North American specification, 1968~71 VW Type 2s, which had factory-fitted reversing lights, had their reversing lights repurposed as amber, rear direction-indicator lamps with amber bulbs, after being imported second-hand into Great Britain; rather than substitute British & European specification, complete rear lamp units with an amber lens for the rear direction-indicators.

Although British specification, 1972~79 VW Type 2s were fitted with the tall rectangular rear lamp units, incorporating a colourless lens for reversing lights, few if any vehicles, apart from the deluxe microbuses, were factory-fitted with the transaxle-activated switch, in-line fuse holder, bulb holders and wiring to provide the reversing-light function. This is relatively easy to do, if one can still source the required parts.

Last edited:
When you finally get your reverse lights sorted, replace the incandescent bulbs with retina-searing LEDs. You can thank me later.

Keep in mind the provisions of the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 about what form, wattage & intensity of reversing-light bulbs may be used!

1662751735313.png

These are from Coolair I think, if I can remember:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.
So mine is a 71 and an English right hand drive and it was the only way I could get a reverse light and fog light without cutting the panels.
Some have done the same and mounted them above the bumper, but because of the over riders, mine won't allow the engine hatch to open.
Don't mind the milk bottle caps , they keep the water out to an extent.

J & P:D:D:D

Keep in mind the provisions of the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 about what form, wattage & intensity of reversing-light bulbs may be used!
That's a good point, although I don't see much sense in setting limits on the intensity of reverse lights. It's not like they'r going to blind oncoming cars....

But I guess regulators have to do what they have to.

The regulation mentioned above has almost no scope that needs to be considered -

Road Vehicles Lighting Regs 1989 deals with Reversing Lights which it defines as " a lamp used to illuminate the road to the rear of a vehicle for the purpose of reversing and to warn other road users that the vehicle is reversing or about to".

It is an Optional lamp and therefore not covered by Reg 23 which deals with the maintainance in good and working order.

Schedule 14 list the characteristics:

Number - Not more than two
Position - no requirement
Size of illuminated area - no requirement
Colour - white
Wattage: no requirement if displaying an approved mark otherwise one lamp not to exceed 24 watts
Tel-tale - Only required if light is not automatically activated by selection of reverse gear.

Latest posts