• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

RHD 1970 Panel Van

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clem

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Not mine, posting it for a 'net buddy :)

Hi people, due to my recent move into T4 ownership, I reckon I'd best get rid of the Bay. I don't really want to - I've put a lot into it, and enjoyed using the van too, but I suppose needs must.

So anyways, He's a 1970 Panel in original Velvet Green (not OG paint, resprayed a few years ago in the original colour,) in pretty straight condition.

I used this bus through last summer as my daily driver, and for a weekly 300+ mile commute while I was working away, and I lived in him during the week while I was away.

As you'll see from the pictures, he's been slammed, is running on standard wheels, with smart car tyres on the front, which tucks the wheels under the arches nicely at the front.

Since I've owned the van, (since last May,) I've replaced loads of parts.

In order to sort out a persistent misfire I fitted New Plugs, leads, distributor c/w points condenser etc. Carburettor.

Then the engine came out & the inlet manifold gaskets were replaced as it was an air leak that was causing the problem all the time.

I also fitted a new Empi twin quiet pack exhaust & headers and some J-Tubes.

I also fitted a new starter motor, as the old one was a bit lazy when the engine was warm.

New Dynamo & fan belt fitted when the bearings packed up in the old one.

New Brake cylinders & shoes on the back for the mot along with some brake hoses, (solids & a couple of rear flexi's) along with a couple of other bits & pieces.
Also Replaced the front tyres.

I've replaced all four shocks with good quality ones that were carefully measured to suit the ride height, and to improve the handling
& ride. The ride is however pretty firm due to the fact that the bus is slammed, but it does go round corners like it's on the proverbial rails.

By the way, the front windscreen was also replaced last year, so it's nice & clear (and a proper modern spec one which won't shatter like the old one did:eek

So as you can guess, the bus is pretty well sorted & runs & drives well, and has had quite a bit of time & money spent on it.

I've also fitted an early 70's style Devon interior in the back, with the two box type seats which make up a 3/4 width bed - very comfy, as I mentioned, I slept in it for about 4 months last year- and theres a cooker & sink alongside this, though I've never used either of these, so the cooker is untested.

The back is panelled out in hardboard, which I had planned to get covered, but never got around to it. I've also fitted a 12v flourescent light in the back, and mounted a Budwieser bottle opener on the seat bulkhead.

The interior isn't perfect, but it's perfectly usable & ready for camping, with plenty of storage under the seats.

Up front theres a pair of modernish high back seats, with saucy leopard print seat covers, a new Cab carpet in Black, and a pair of JK black ABS kick panels. I've also fitted a CD Player.

I've also fitted new step rubbers, grill mesh & I've got a new front VW badge which I never got around to fitting.

Anyways, body wise, the only real rust to speak of is on bolt on parts, like the doors & the engine lid.
Theres a little on the rear corners & below the engine lid which could be sorted out really easily too - don't think it'd need repair panels as its minor, mostly small bubbling, but to be honest, the bus still looks very tidy despite this.

The back bumper is missing, it was before I got it, but I've never bothered to replace it. You'd need new bumper irons too, as I had these removed to tidy the back end, and they were knackered.

The pictures were taken just before I got the bus last year, but it looks pretty much the same now.

van1.jpg

green11.jpg

Anyways, price wise, I'm looking for £6750, which considering how rare solid Early RHD panels are these days, and the amount of time & money spent on the van I don't think is too bad? I'm not desperate to sell tho' so don't mind hanging on & selling at one of the shows when it warms up, and everyone wants to go camping, if I have to

I've also got a Creative engineering 2 bow Roof rack, a pair of SAAB Black Leather seats & a JK cover which I'll throw in if I get the asking price.

I would possibly consider a part ex. for a solid Bug, as I don't like the idea of being totally air-cooled less, and a Bug would fit in my garage when I wasn't using it.

Hopefully, I've been as honest as I can with the description, but any questions, or if anyone needs any pictures of anything in particular, give me a shout.

Cheers

Slo-mo

Respond directly here - http://www.justkampers.co.uk/interactive/kamperchat/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5708

Latest posts