• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

RHD VW Splitscreen Microbus - pic heavy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Harris

Reaction score
I have come to the hard decision of putting my camper up for sale. I did have it up for sale for a couple of weeks last year but decided to keep in the end after massive amounts of time wasters on ebay. But quite simply, lack of time, lack of money and a need to start a career forces sale. Hopefully in a few years when my life is less chaotic I can get myself another.

I have owned this bus for the past 7 years. With this being my first bus I wanted a project which needed no welding and it had to be RHD. I have always loved 15 windows so a South African fleetline was perfect for me. As most of you guys already know, a bit of a stigma attached to the term fleetline, mostly because the majority of people refer to all Brazilian buses as fleetline whereas it is only the RHD one year only model built by VW of South Africa which are actual fleetlines. These were put together as budget vehicles and then later replaced with the split/bay hybrid model (which also is wrongly mislabelled fleetline) Decoding the plate shows that this bus is number 364 out of approximately 5000 to roll off the production line

I am the first UK registered owner of the bus. I bought it off an importer in 2007. I then proceeded to completely strip it to a shell to find out what needed restoring and more importantly rustproofing from the English weather. I would say 95% of the panels are original. I think the passenger floor tray had been replaced in the past. Other than that it looks all original with a few patches here and there (battery tray, cargo floor).
After a while on the road it had to be lowered, this work was undertaken by Slamworks in 2011. Straight axle kit, box raise, 1600 gearbox, 4" narrowed front beam, type 3 brakes, shocks, drop spindles, tie rods shocks etc, spindle body, king pins etc. this got it running sweet. I have covered approx. 2000 miles since this work.

The bus is due to come out of winter hibernation in the next couple of weeks, every winter I do a partial strip down and clean up. 1.6 engine has only just gone back in after a good service and clean up over winter, unknown mileage on the engine but a reliable runner. Over the winter I have also touch up small areas of surface rust underneath and undersealed the lot again.

Bad bits
As any bus there is a 'to do list'. I like buses a bit tatty they are supposed to be used and not just looked at. I will only sell this bus once I have gone around it with the potential buyer showing all the work that will be needed, these being:

The roof guttering above the drivers door and passenger door had started to have little rust holes appear, about the same radius of a pencil. For the time being i have used the unsightly filler to prevent water coming in, same goes for the roof section above the boot lid, Easily fixed with Autocraft panels.

Both the drivers sill and passenger sill are dented. I quite like some of the dents as it shows the bus is not full of filler! I can also take out the interior if required so you can see if the panels are dented from the inside.

The floor had some rust holes appearing before I rust treated it. I have welded floor patches here. Again if I was to keep the bus I would eventually put an entire new cargo floor in and new outriggers as these are also dented. But at the moment they have plenty of life.

I foolishly jacked the bus on front passenger outrigger just before Christmas and it punctured, alright for the time being but will need seeing to in the future, I have pictured this too.

Finally a couple of the windows have small rust holes but only at the base where water gets trapped.

Luckily the rest of the panels are in very good condition, no rot and the chassis is completely solid. As it stands at the moment this bus requires nothing to use and enjoy, just general maintenance and servicing.

My bus has been kept garaged its entire life in the UK (with the exception of shows/holidays away) and I strongly urge any buyer to do the same as these vehicles do not last long subjected to the English weather. I also believe this vehicle was a barn find in South Africa. It had clearly stood in dry shelter for some time unused. When I took out the engine for the first time I found heaps of animal bones!

Please contact if you require further information. As with any vehicle I strongly suggest you view before buying. I can make myself available for genuine interest but my time is valuable so please don’t waste it. Vehicle will be ready to drive away, taxed and mot’d. with all documents just need to finish the clean up.

As for prices.... I have spent well over £20000 over the past 7 years on my bus
I would like between £17-18k

To forget all the hassle of haggling back and forth I would say a minimum price for me is £16500 but only to the right person, which I think is a very fair price for a well sorted slammed driveable split.
I Believe I have fairly priced to sell, so will only consider offers if you have been to see the bus and depending on your attitude!

I don't like posting pictures not up to date but at the moment the bus is on axle stands, so a couple of pictures from shows over the past year or so:

heres a little video I put together a few months ago (running a different engine)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQEAXE0udSw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lots more pictures on my photo bucket account but will add more recent pictures daily http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/jharris6/library/?sort=3&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some underneath pictures taken today:

Pictures as promised ;)
also on ebay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221378658189?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Latest posts