Roof Box on a Westy?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bundy

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Custom
Has anyone fitted a roof box to the westy rear rack?
I was thinking it may be a better way for storing things in the dry whilst doing a tour?
I have dry bags etc but want to keep things out the way but easily accessible without having to unpack and repack bags all the time...especially if not staying places more than 1 or 2 nights.
Just struggling to find one that will fit comfortably the right way round...or that can stay there unpacked (fold up Thule one).
Any thoughts, suggestions or reasons for not going down this route all welcome
Cheers
Al

If that's the case then it may be a bit of a non-starter then...
Anyone had roof box experience?! ;)

I was looking to get one a couple of years ago before I had my bus and we were planning on doing a camping holiday in the UK with the kids and deicded we would need a lot more luggage space. Seemed like every review I red had a comment about clothes being wet due to the rain.

J.

Aldi sell waterproof "boating bags" every so often, we have 4 of these on the rear rack for Holidays. They are cheap and work well and not had any water ingress problems.

Off topic slightly but have you tried those vacuum bags that suck your gear down to a miniscule size (now come on im serious) meaning you can take more stuff, then you can put the Dyson on the roofrack :D

There was a topic about this on t'other bay site somewhere, read it a good while back now, basically someone had the same idea, and actually fitted one, took some pics to get opinions, and I thought it looked ok to be fair! But it got a big thumbs down from about 99% of those who commented. Don't think he ever kept it on. Could possibly dig out the link if you can't find it.....

--------------------------------
Own a Bay?......Feel the love!

Also on a side note, I have a roof box for my car, and have never had water issues. If its a decent make, it wont leak!

Thanks for the replies guys....
I think the biggest problem is getting one to fit the gap properly and still be able to get the catches open and shut. The one that might just fit is a cheapo jobby so may just be a waste of money really.
Guess I'll probably stick to the dry bags, but have to get more organised with the packing! :lol:

Iv used a halfords one on my car and never had problems with water ingress

I used one on my mini. Stuffing the light bulky stuff in it and never had any problems with stuff getting wet. I have often thought about sticking on the roof of the bus when away on our travels

Another obvious problem is the bars on the westy roof rack run from front to back, so clamping the box would be a little more difficult than using the usual roof bars.

my dad used to use one on our westy back in the day , it fitted on sideways.
He used to either stand on the back bumper to get stuff in & out or , put it on the other way, open the poptop and stand on the seat to get stuff.

I do remember all the bedding getting wet one time tho, so after that my mam put clothes in bin bags in hold alls inside the roof box?!??

They look fookin ugly mind on top of a good lookin bus mind!??!?? :oops: :?: :?:

Why not a big old fashioned steamer trunk/suitcase?.??
With waterproof bags in ??

I'm thinking of getting one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/426-Litre-X-Large-Soft-Car-Roof-Box-Cargo-Carrier-Fold-Up-Box-Bag-Waterproof-/230830485146?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item35be91ae9a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did the measurements back last year, and it fitted perfectly inside a westy 3 bow roof rack.

Looks in-keeping too.

AxlFoley said:
I'm thinking of getting one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/426-Litre-X-Large-Soft-Car-Roof-Box-Cargo-Carrier-Fold-Up-Box-Bag-Waterproof-/230830485146?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Touring_Travel&hash=item35be91ae9a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did the measurements back last year, and it fitted perfectly inside a westy 3 bow roof rack.

Looks in-keeping too.

I looked at that one and for some reason disregarded it!
Looking again I don't know why as it does appear perfect size and good idea....might just invest in one of them...time will tell!
Cheers
Al