RubyBlu - A jovial illustrated build thread!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr1ncognit0

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been sporadically posting a few Q's in the technical section and browsing the forums and thought it would be good to get a build thread going to keep a log of progress and jobs done.... I have done a very small amount of mechanical work growing up but nothing major, and not on this scale.... I am fortunately quite practical and willing to have an educated go at things.... so let see how this build progresses!

So first photos from pickup (Sep 13) to Engine out and block split... present day (Feb 14).... I will be posting more regularly but I realised I am a fair weather mechanic and did sweet FA during the winter months.... back on it now.

Note to readers: Sorry about my overuse of "......" and "!!!!" ..... Bad habit and I can't stop myself..... <-- see!!! <--- and again.

Also this OP is a little on the lengthy side but wanted to document it all to date.

Where I have a trip to forum's if you check out my other posts you can see the problem solving in action.... and...

Action!

The day of collection!!

Apparently it's a runner... all it needs is a new fuel pump.... done! regulator fitted shortly after... oh and head lights.... and windows.... and seats that don't move around.... and..... well it's a long list..... so not quite a runner.

Hmmmm .... but wait.... battery charged... pump working.... still not working.... Quick trip to the forums resulted in a full carb strip and rebuild.... it was certainly gunked up and the floats were bent...

Ahhh... that's better... nice and clean!

and refitted.

.... Turned it over and wooomp.. it started! .... Made a funny noise after a few minutes and stopped....... UH OH!!! Trip to forum once again.... Took no chances and decided to drop the engine out... there is a first for everything...

Flattering photo... cheers Dad!

Engine out.... In need of TLC...

The strip down commences.

We will have you shiny in no time!!

More bits.... lets hope I can put it back together....

It seems I found a green CDR marker pen in my engine and a plug socket.... curious!

Ok.... works ground to a halt in late 2013 as I got stumped ... and a little scared of splitting the engine case... so I stripped the old interior out.

Original horse hair chairs to be repaired and re-covered.... the wife wants to put big comfy ones in it so I might sell these at some point, which seems a shame... but hey.

Cockpit area looks a little unloved too... and needs some pazazz added... thinking cap donned.....

Ok... fast forward to present day........ And grow some cahunas and attacked splitting the block... made a rig to stop it twisting... added torque wrench and scaffold pole and a big socket from halfords and POP!!! We have lift off!!

The next few hours were a blur as I built a high level work bench so I wasn't bending over the engine, took the nuts out and then began to spread the engine.... it was all going so well.

I don't see them cutting through knackered bolts with hacksaw blades on F1!

.... and as for the bolts which I couldn't get to with the blade.... well I had to pop out some Pro welding skillz... I have accumulated approx 5 minutes with my Mig welder which I inherited from my Dad.... Application is 10/10.... execution is... well.... I'll let you be the judges!!.... Dirty weld!!

Ok... case was split... (forgot to take any photos) !! Will do at some point and get them on here.... and time to remove all the un-necessary bits before giving it a clean.... just got...to....give the .... dizzy.... a .... pull..... DAMN YOU!! MOVE!!!!
If in doubt... take it apart piece by piece....

Ok that didn't work.... quick trip to the forum.... you guys know your stuff!!!! Gave me enough confidence to provide it with some encouragement and bashery....

This is a great tip for removing the distributor if it won't shift from pulling, lever it with something and tap it away from the case. If you have undone all the bolts to the case it will just slide out.... ish..... wack wack wack.... BINGO!

YES! Out.

WTF is this!?!? ... I don't own a screwdriver that big.... actually who owns a screwdriver this big!! Trip to forum .....

Turns out it is the oil pressure regulator screw, and there is one on the other end of the case.... started with a little tap on the edge to get it turning and out it comes.

Warning: Don't hover you head over the spring when doing this as mine shot out and hit my in the face!

There is a little slider stuck in the channel that won't come out as it is catching on the threads..... I have sought the knowledge of the Forums.... will I find the knowledge I so desperately require to remove the slider..... or won't I.... Alternatively I will resort to brute force and ignorance!..... stay tuned for the next episode.....(Which I promise will be a lot shorter and lot more frequent.... You lucky people!)

Cheers

Mr1

Looking forward to this thread :mrgreen: .
Is this your 1st resto?

Rich

Yes first resto ... and first proper mechanical project... fitted a few radios and changed some brake pads in the past ... Some may think I am out of my depth ... I say ... I am tall ... and my head is above water, for now!

RICH-I-AM said:
Looking forward to this thread :mrgreen: .
Is this your 1st resto?

Rich

Me 2 !!

As mentioned I just started striping my motor down. Then bought books, research makes it easier you cannot do to much research however, there is plenty of peeps on here with the books.
You're doing the right thing posting on the forum this is exactly what a forum is good for, although ultimately what-ever you do is your decision you must be happy with the info you have at hand to carry it out the specific task as you're the only 1 who'll pay to rectify.
My home rebuild wasn't without cock ups my only tip is when you start to get annoyed, lose patience, walk away, have a brew read up, ask question on forum then go back to it. I never almost cost me my crankcase case.
It's the best feeling when it's all done 2.
Keep up the good work, nice to see people having a crack at it! ;)

Great write up and welcome - will keep an eye on your progress :D

Day 2(+ a few) in the RubyBlu Household....

I have been wrestling with my ebay valve clamp for ages without success and after 3 of us couldn't move it ... it was sacked! .... I may well ritually sacrifice it to my disc cutter at some point....

Only to be replaced... by a more attractive.... slicker.... more useful model!.... enter......

The tool for the job....

and for those of you looking to buy one ... or a similar... I paid £20 for this and it arrived next day... took me all of 10 minutes to get my valves out with it!

Close up of the label.... (I found the crop and resize tools in PhotoBucket.... no more massive photos!!

Compressor on..... give it a squeeze.... hernia popped..... valve compressed...... fiddle with magnetic screwdriver ..... gromet jobs out .....

and BOOM!!! ..... Those are mucky heads! I am very reluctant to take the valve guides out as I have seen them put in before and know they can be a pain! By the time I have finished we will be able to eat out dinner off them!
..... hmm I wonder what would happen if I put my crank case and heads in the dishwasher......! <---- Any experience of this working? Or does it just knacker the dishy??!? (Wife is away for 3 more days..... )

On this thread.... you will see I went through a learning phase about oil pressure regulators and release springs and took them out yesterday...
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=57231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well... at the end of it all one of the sliders would not come out and I tried all sorts. Dustrat mentioned that he welded some tips to the end of some long nose pliers and expanded them in the slider to get a grip ..... I know it not called a slider ... so let's call it Geoff...

So a little trip into Halfrauds to have a look at their thin pointy nosed pliers and picked these little lovely's up....

They are circlip pliers and the little opaque things on the end are for protection in the packaging.... they are made of rubber and just slide over the end so, also.... thankfully.... for Geoff's protection!

After a little jiggery pockery I popped them into the bottom of Geoff and spread them so they got a good grip..... and with a little wiggle pulled...

Geoff!!! .... you handsome devil!!

I was hoping my self assigned tasks for the evening would take more than 30 minutes but alas.... time to read my haynes manual to see if I can take the long bolts out of my case before I put it in the dishwasher......

;)

I'm loving this thread, ever thought about a career in comedy ? :lol:
Keep up the good work

Hi Mr1ncognit0

Great thread - love your just get on with it approach :D

Bit late now but have a look at this valve spring compressor. A friend of mine made it and it works an absolute treat!

9546867768_017a275fa7_c.jpg

Keep posting the pics

Woz

That valve compressor.... ingenious!! Allows you to take them out with the springs facing upwards... got to be easier for putting them back on and those little gromet things!

.... Tried the 2 bolt trick to remove the bars from my engine case... They both keep turning.... SOOOO reluctant to weld something to these bars and then buy new ones as I could do with saving my money for something I break by accident rather than destroy with molten metal....

Haynes Manual... you fail me! Youtube be my guide.

The past few days have been a day of listening to bad 70's and 80's pop and disco compilations interspersed with some Eddie Stobarts Driving Classics whilst scrubbing my valves...... Well.... I use scrubbing in the loosest possible sense. I decided to try and bust some urban myths....
1 - Can Diet Coke.... specifically 2 litres for 17 pence Diet Cola coloured drink from Aldi ...... clean engine parts?
2 - Can a dishwasher clean engine parts.... ?
3 - Can all the above be done without the Wife finding out?

First off I need some equipment and to set out my work station....Queue trip to Aldi... So... 14 Bottles of Coke, a pre-acquired garden tub, a pink dog towel, miscellaneous engine parts and a quiche later I am ready.

Oh and a trip to Halfrauds to get some cleaning and scrubbing essentials... I don't actually expect this to work do I?!..... (Ok the scrubber below proves to be extremely effective! I recommend this thing.)

In they go!!

That is a lot of cola coloured diet fizzy pop!!

Ok.... I am concerned about my Fairy soft skin and my exposure to this sludge..... Where are my wife's pink Marigolds!?!
(Obviously Health and Safety is key when dealing with dangerous Acids.... you certainly wouldn't drink it.... would you?????)

I left all the bits in soak for about an hour whilst I ate my quiche.... (I also like Cider and manly things.... GRRRR) ..... and watched some Strike Back....<---- See GUNS!! .... phew... I thought I was demasculated by eating a quiche... which... I can recommend, it was the caramelized onion and cheese one... from Aldi, retailing at around £1.49.... very pleasant.

Ok... I am not sure if this Video will work.... but this was about 45 minutes in when I would have expected it to stop fizzing...... I am getting a little concerned about the integrity of my cylinder head at this point..... and the insides of anyone who purchases this cola coloured fizzy pop for their own consumption....

Right... quiche consumed.... Strike Back finished... now that was a good season.... time to rinse off the parts..... I seem to have jeopardised my 3rd hypothesis regarding stealthy wife avoidance by knackering her gloves....... This will not come off!!!.... I do hope they weren't an heirloom.... :?

Rinsing off was proving a disaster and I had managed to get sludge everywhere....... I had to wash the floor twice and was so covered in the stuff no photos were taken.... what to do......???? I have a kitchen which is getting messy, I need to put these parts somewhere whilst I clean up......

This should do..... they won't be in the way in here.

A significant amount of time passed... the floor is clean.... all evidence is gone apart from an odd oily smell around the house which I don't believe belongs in kitchen.... The dishwasher has finished and all parts had been removed to be inspected.....

The dishwasher has had the un-expected side effect of gold plating my springs and valve caps...... Oh Wait.... no! .... NO!!! They seem to have no oil and grime on them.... just covered in RUST!!!!!! WTF!!!!! ARRRGGGHHHHH.

OK... OK... they are cheapish if I need to replace them.... what about the valves......

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ARRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Right.... re group.... calm down..... think......... that's not working....... start scrubbing!!!!!!

I ran a bowl of hot water..... donned some new gloves and grabbed my Halfords (<---- new found respect) scrubber and set to work..... I needed some working music..... Queue..... Party playlist..... OMG this music is dire... covered in crud..... nevermind it will do.... hmmmmm.... Flashdance.... what a classic.

25 minutes.... 1 valve..... to this!

Got to be honest... I hope that was going to be quicker..... After cleaning 3 valves and a good hour had passed I thought it was time to change parts as RSI was beginning to kick in and I would never use a mouse again. (.... it's ok ..... the mouse recovered from the emotional turbulence during our relationship.) .... only those gold plated valve caps....

......... Photobucket has gone down for maintenance so i will finish off my guide to cowboy cleaning later! Bed now I think.

.... and just as I was putting on my nighty Photobucket comes back on....

These cleaned up beautifully.

Some 800 grit wet and dry, a rub with the Halfords paint removal pad of dreams and the springs came up to....

Lovely!

These little gromets were a bit fiddly to clean and I found the best way was to put a square of wet and dry on a towel so if was soft and pushing up onto the metal and rub the gromet onto it, wire brush and holding them was just uncomfortable.

Ok... Just the remaining valves left.... I also had some non VW work to do tonight so could not afford the 25 minutes per valve it had been taking me..... this is probably not the best idea but was very effective and just used the Halfords paint pad and kept wetting it and ended up doing a valve in about 3 minutes... that's better!!!

The finished product..... For the tougher inlet valves which had burn marks on the necks I used some wet and dry wrapped round it when it was being spun in the drill.

Shiny!!!

I have run out of time this week to make a start on cleaning the cylinder heads up but will get going on that over the weekend if time allows.

More updates soon.

Steve

woz said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your going to need a big bucket and a lot of Coke to put your bus in :shock:

It is a UK RHD after all.... I suspect the coke will dissolve the rust and leave the tyres floating at the top.

:lol:

I forget to summarise my cleaning posts...

Soaking in Coke:
Removes muck and grime and a bit of oil did not seem to move the carbon at all.

Dishwasher
Washed the coke off and made everything go rusty.....

Did the wife find out???
The dishwasher now smells of oil when you open it...... so probably..... yes.... she gets back tomorrow!!.... oh and her Pink Marigolds have been replaced with yellow ones...

Just a warning for the future. If you end up painting the case in high temp paint and need to bake it on, make sure your wife is away for the weekend. It fills the house with the smell :mrgreen:

Rich

Another great write up :)
Heading towards a very shiny engine so I hope you can keep it that way :D

Day...3... 4.... I am sure they will blend into one after a few hundred hours.... time to stop counting!

Time to get these bars out the engine case ready for a good clean up... already tried and failed and melted a few nuts with my He-Man protein enriched GRRRR-ness..... Engage brain...

I sprayed some token gesture WD40 into the threads and left it whilst supping a coffee and willing them out..... picked some larger more substantial nuts... upgraded from the 13's to the 15's and rather then using 2 spanners (wrenches for those in USA) and put a socket on the end of it to stabilise (or stablize for those in....USA ;) ). Tightened the two nuts together as hard as I could and bosh!!

Two halves ready for cleaning.... also managed to carefully drill out the stuck bolt out the side of the case, need to clean the threads at re-build but need a tap and dye kit so that will wait.

^^^ Something strangely beautiful about this.... :shock:

Right onto the clean up of the cylinder heads.... wire, brush, wet and dry, and time applied... and they cleaned up nicely.

HOUSTON..... We have a problem..........

There seems to be some fragments of metal lodged in the cylinder head.... :cry: ..... I managed to get them out and it does not seem too bad.... The question is does this require replacement????

The corresponding piston also has damage..... <--- Does this need replacing??

Since we have blue skies today it seems a shame to spend it inside cleaning pistons so out to the van to have a look at the engine bay and suss out what needs doing to receive the rebuild a month or so down the line......

OH CRAP!! I only tapped it with a screwdriver....... Expanding foam????

Ok, got on my sled and rolled around a while under the van on an inspection..... I know how to ruin a blue sky day don't I..... engage tears and deep depression!

These are going to have to come out.... grinder powered up and bolts cut out....

Phew!!! Surely that's all...............

Ok..... breathe......... *stopped breathing*.......*started crying..... again!!!* ........

I have had Philadelphia (not the state.... or the film).... with more structural integrity than this!!
..... insert clip from Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels where one of the guys says..... "Hmmmm seems expensive...."

Time to seek professional help.... firstly to get over the shock of the condition of the van.... then to remedy the works......

Well on the plus side if I rip out all the dash, wiring, etc, etc, I can work on getting all that up to speed ready to fit back in.... will have a conversation with Enfields on Monday.

Take it easy all.... I won't!!

Top thread mate - some great work!

If you have to use the dishwasher again as a parts cleaner pop a chocolate bath bomb in when your done and it will make it smell all nice again! Worked for me :msn4:

Latest posts