Rust around front screen

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren2030

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Got a couple small bubbles of rust come through the paint below the rubber on the front screen bout 20 pence size on my earlybay camper which is annoying and I hear it’s a common problem with these old busses! I’m guessing I’d have to take the windscreen out rub down treat and respray but the thing is is there any tips on not getting it come back like silicone under the rubber seal or something has anyone had any experience of this job or have any advice would be much appreciated thanks.

Darren

The only way to stop the rust coming back is to do the job properly.
Take the screen out, bare metal it, cut all the rust out and replace with solid metal. Loads of primer and paint, then use proper rubberised screen sealer rather than silicone sealant.

Hey, the big issue here is that the lower section of screen frame is a recipe to hold water because of its shape, as said above get some good metal in there and paint it paint it and paint it. Once you got the screen in you could treat it to some screen sealer or possibly wax oil it annually after your mot and that’ll help loads.

Ozziedog,,,,,,, just done mine and fitted a laminated one :mrgreen:

Hi,

Cheers fellas yeh I am gonna get the screen out to do a proper job I’m hoping it isn’t too bad that I need to cut away any metal just hopefully surface rust but obviously won’t know that till the screen is out! I’m guessing I’ll need to cut away the old rubber to get the screen out or is there a way of doing it without cutting the rubber seal!?

Thanks again
Darren

Me and Vinvan (Rob) replaced ours this weekend. Rob got in the passenger seat, put his foot in the top left corner and pushed. I was on the other side and as it started to come out I pulled and stopped it from falling forward.
Literally took 10 seconds but we may have been lucky. Then tranferred the rubber seal to the replacement. I might add that ours has the deluxe insert trim so maybe because that was removed made the rubber a bit easier to remove still attached to the the whole screen.

If the rubber looks like new then I’d try and save it but otherwise get our Stan into it. I’ve gone for a new laminated screen after I’ve heard from more than one source that most rescue outfits don’t consider a smashed screen to be a breakdown and leave you to your own devices, whereas a laminated might cop for a crack but it’ll still work to keep the rain out. Oh, and getting them out is a trifle easier than getting the little bleeders back in. Some one else said about using ratchet straps to stop them falling when taking them out and using a series of straps to get them pressed back in, sounded interesting :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, put a new one in , its bettererer on your sunnies ;) :mrgreen: ;)

Hi

Cheers fellas for all your replies really helpful as always gonna get on it Wednesday hopefully as I’m day off work
Thanks again 👍

Darren

Latest posts