Scammer Warning!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baggycp

Reaction score
Hi all. Been trying to sell my bay, and today received an email asking for details and the last price id accept, thought the phrase "last price" seemed odd, but being a trusting guy thought id reply.

Next email I received said:

"Hello thanks for reply, i am a marine engineer, i am at sea right now. I
am buying this for my son as a surprise gift. I can  only pay through
paypal at the moment as i don't have access to my bank account online(i
dont have internet banking with it), but i have it attached to my
paypal account, and this is why i insisted on using paypal to pay,all
i will need is your paypal email address to make the payment, and if
you dont have a paypal account yet, you can set one  it cant take you
less than 3mins to do that, i will be expecting your paypal email so l
can pay.  I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after
payment has been sorted,  l will be waiting for your reply asap.."

Being a little wiser to scams, and the fact someone is willing to pay full price without viewing, I decided to do a search and see what I can find out. Turns out that there are either a lot of marine engineers buying cars without seeing them, or it is truly a scamming Ba****d trying to rob me.
A little more searching revealed that their scam involves paying you on paypal with extra for the pick up agent, then freezing the payment until vehicle is collected (which never happens) in the meantime they get you to pay (via card) the "pick up agent" after that they cancel payment and have made off with your hard earned you payed to the pick up agent.

So after this I replied to the potential buyer:

"Hi Mark,
Im afraid with all the scum bag scammers out there trying to rob people of their hard earned cash I cant accept payment via PayPal, im sure you understand. How about you pay your pick up agent via pay pal to pay me cash on collection. If they dont have a pay pal account its really easy to set up and can be done in under 3 mins.

Regards"

So any way, a warning to you all.
And to name and shame the scammer: [email protected]

baggycp said:
"Hi Mark,
Im afraid with all the scum bag scammers out there trying to rob people of their hard earned cash I cant accept payment via PayPal, im sure you understand. How about you pay your pick up agent via pay pal to pay me cash on collection. If they dont have a pay pal account its really easy to set up and can be done in under 3 mins.

Regards"

Brilliant! :lol: that's a great reply.

There was one years back where they strung the scammer along getting him to paint himself. Cracked me right up...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/3887493.stm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Love your reply. The bit about setting up PayPal cracked me up.

Sent from my iLife4 suite of applications.

I love doing that to these muppets, I have had a load of conversations with idiots telling me I have been selected to have a million pounds sent from Iraq to my account etc etc and do the same sort of thing. Makes me feel warm inside. :D

Ref the nobrain scammer mentioned ([email protected]) here is his actual mobile number as it appeared on myphone recently, when he tried to scam me also: +61428465117.
How about tormenting the life out of this joker, we could always preset our mobiles to send him a text every 4 hours or so and keep him awake all night, no matter where the fool lives. He'll probably end up having to dump his phone or else changing his nimber, but he might just get the message before he does any of this.

Just an idea, but remember to send texts witholding your own number only.

Folk like this get all they deserve, but where's Karma when you need her?

That number has been doing the rounds. Type his number into Google and it takes you to a website called "whocallsme". 4 pages of the same stuff.

Sent from my iLife4 suite of applications.

HI/Hello
I am new on the forum,sory for my broken language
,but I want give profs for scam about boy call [email protected] I make advert on gumtree ,I try salee my car and he send me text from
+61061428465117
Hello thanks for reply, i am a marine engineer, i am at sea right now. I
am buying this for my son as a surprise gift. I can only pay through
paypal at the moment as i don't have access to my bank account online(i
dont have internet banking with it), but i have it attached to my
paypal account, and this is why i insisted on using paypal to pay,all
i will need is your paypal email address to make the payment, and if
you dont have a paypal account yet, you can set one it cant take you
less than 3mins to do that, i will be expecting your paypal email so l
can pay. I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up after
payment has been sorted, l will be waiting for your reply asap
so be cerfull !!!!!!!!!!boys