Scat shifter, any good ?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee C

Reaction score
Are Scat gear shifters any good ???
Better than stock ?
Do they tighten up the gear selection ?
I’ve currently got a stock shifter but I struggle with 2nd sometimes.

I run a Berg Lee and it’s spot on, best shifters in my opinion.

I was running an empi trigger before this and also had one in my previous bay and they do improve shifting.

Have you done your bushes , coupler too as this definately helps.

We have one and it works well, loads better than standard.. as Said above bushes and coupler need to be sorted as well

I've had one fitted for the best part of 10 years no problems so far much improved over stock, not as good as Berg or CSP but then about a third of the price, depends on your budget I suppose.

False alarm!!!!
The one on Facebook was a RHD!!!
But changing bushes etc can’t hurt !
I’ll pop that on me list of things to do !!!

We have one on our ‘71 Crossover and it is brilliant. Short, sharp and very well defined shifting that far surpasses the custard stirring standard stick, IMHO.

I imagine the T-Bar handle style might not be to everyone’s taste.

The only thing I find is I need to lean forward a little to shift gear as it is a shorter stick than standard.

I love ours!

I’m quite tall, I usually put the gearstick extosion on my buses, so I think a lower one again might be a bit of a problem!!!???

I have one in mine and I'll be putting it back to stock when I get around to doing the cab. It's not much, if at all, better than stock and it's aggressively ugly.

The reverse lock is nice though.

I had a Berg and it shift’s nice and thight but since i renewed all the bushes,linkage, nose cone bearing and a steel ball on the hockey stick i had massive problems adjusting it, it’s just to close so i went back to the stock one and i must say it shift’s like the berg when i had more slop in the shiftline ;)
So if all is renewed with either NOS parts or A+ quality parts you don’t need a short shifter!
Note check the wear on the collar of the stock shifter too, weld some material on the weared out spot and grind it down to spec this helps allot too and is often overlooked!
Take a good look at your coupler too as the majority of the new ones have sloppy rubber blocks that sit in the steel cage, you have to modify the steel cage so the rubber blocks are nice and thight, i used the one with the red urethane blocks but i found these to thight there must be a certain flexibility in the rubber.
Also these transfer a lot of noise through!

I’ve had a scat drag fast on another 69 bus a few years ago and it was pretty good for the money, I currently have a berg on my 70 and it’s worlds better, worth the money and shifts smooth as you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts