Seized front brake calipers

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subheatadey

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I decided to drag the bus out of the garage and the front disc brakes are seized , it is a '71. I think the brake flex I replaced not too long ago but I will check they aren't collapsed but I think it is the calipers so I need a service kit. My question to the all knowledgeables amongst you is the front calipers on the 71 the same as the late bays?

Hiya, late bays are different but conversion kits are easy to find. Awkward year 71 as they could be a one year only type like on my Nov 70.
Also you could recon them yourself.I bought a piston / seal kit from Big Redd.

Have you tried driving it? It is pretty common for the pads to stick to the discs if not used for a time, and similarly the slider pins in the callipers can become a bit more resistant to movement. A short drive will normally free them off if this is the case and if the sticking is a bit worse, then generating a bit of heat in them can also release any stuck parts. Obviously if the wheel isn’t turning at all then you might want to free that off before generating a flat spot in your tire!

^^^ As said there,,,,, drive it, maybe back and forth a tad just to free it off then once around the block then get back and have a pint :lol: If it’s pulling to one side after you been around the block, then a further investigation is warranted.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,disc brakes??? Just showing off Ade ;) ;) :mrgreen:

P.S. you Ok bud, ? :mrgreen:

I know Ozzy 'disc brakes' I'm living the dream, It just got tighter has I drove it. Disgusting really you would have though they would have lasted longer than 49 years! :D

I have just pulled off the first caliper the seals are destroyed, and the pistons are seized. been per-petulantly skint I need to find a service kit for them but first I need to get the pistons out, think I shall first have a go by pressurising with grease gun and hopefully move them that way :?

Just rang vwheritage seems like 71 calipers is one year only and if my pistons are toast I have a big problem - bollocks! £27.50 per caliper for seals FFS

Caliper pistons seized solid, but old trick and pumped 'em out with grease gun. Still have to buy seals strangely I just bought a pair of new brake calipers for my T4 for £46.00. Seems baffling a pair of seals for a T2 £60.00 :(

subheatadey said:
Caliper pistons seized solid, but old trick and pumped 'em out with grease gun. Still have to buy seals strangely I just bought a pair of new brake calipers for my T4 for £46.00. Seems baffling a pair of seals for a T2 £60.00

Supply and demand my old mucker :roll: How many T4s have they sold recon kits this year and how many 71s only do think they sell. :shock:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,surprised it’s not more than double to be honest :shock: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :shock:

As a matter of interest the seal kit i got from Big Redd brakes was £37 delivered including new pistons, that was June 2018. Same calipers as yours.
I got pistons my out with a foot pump but mine weren't seized.

Hi Redgaz54, yes I found them too and hopefully they may be here today :bliss: it makes it reasonable with the pistons too. The pistons were well seized in too, I reckon I could get another 20 miles to the gallon now :lol:

When i did mine the van really felt better to drive, although not seized i think they may have been dragging a bit, i fitted new wheel bearings at the same time too. Even my co-pilot Nige could feel the difference !. :roll:

Latest posts