Ship my Bay to the UK and drive it?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mroldbug

Reaction score
OK...crazy Californian here...

Ive got a 1969 Deluxe Microbus in the original Neptune Blue paint with white top. Perfect fade through and patina, a few bumps and bruises but extremely solid. Front floors, rockers, roof, corners, even the battery box is dry. There is a tiny bit of rust under the original windshield seal (original glass still in it!) and one spot on the cargo floor in the center from a leaking roof mounted antenna. The interior is tatty but present (all three seats) but Im considering re-trimming the seats. Has thin stripe whitewalls and chrome trim rings. Pretty neat old Bus....etc

In any case, I am in California and am seriously looking into shipping it to the UK and driving it to Vanfest and maybe trying to sell it there.

Does anyone have any experience with this?
I know I can bring it over on a temporary import and not pay taxes or have to register it or pay MOT (which means I can drive it with the California plates!) The shipper tells me that it would need to be shipped back after 6 months, but I am positive that other US folks have done this and sold the vehicles there!

What do you all think?

Have a word with ib-bus (Juan), he's done this for the last few years so might be able to point you in the right direction

Nice to see you aroung here Mr. Old Bug of oldbug.com fame , I'm sure your bus is a gem as all the VW's on your website are.
You have PM with some info.
Oh, and don't forget pictures fo your bus, we like them around here :D
Cheers.

I just read your road trip write up in the recent Volksworld ... nice one!

Thanks Juan for the note...the info you are providing is helping me think my dream is a reality... Ive always wanted to ship a VW abroad to take to a show...fingers crossed, it will happen!

Im also thinking it might be fun to bring parts and trinkets from the California scene to share and sell at the event (or trade for beer!)
Might also be a good opportunity to hand out some business cards and meet folks.

The Van Im thinking of shipping is not a wild drop dead show machine like many on my site...it's a bit of a rat by comparison...but it is a cool rat to be sure.

What should I bring? Who should I hang out with? Please give me some tips and tricks...last year we had the trip of a lifetime, but the Vanfest stay was only one day...I'd like more of that this year!

mroldbug said:
Thanks Juan for the note...the info you are providing is helping me think my dream is a reality... Ive always wanted to ship a VW abroad to take to a show...fingers crossed, it will happen!

No worries man , you will find a lot of help around here.

mroldbug said:
Who should I hang out with? Please give me some tips and tricks...last year we had the trip of a lifetime, but the Vanfest stay was only one day...I'd like more of that this year!

You should hang with Earlybay forum members , I have only met a few but they are a cool and relaxed bunch , don't forget Vanfest is a 3 day event this year.

Hi Randy, glad you got registered finally :) , did you get my reply?

Guys, Randy is the man who sorted out my buys in the US which are landing today (4th). Hes a top bloke and all round nice guy ;) . I've seen this bus and it is excellent, what he says you get you will get and i'm sure you all know his site http://www.oldbug.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;? probably selling the best classics in the US money can buy.

I am holding out hope to get to vanfest but not sure yet, you have my number so we will definitely have to hook up if i make it.

Johhny,
I did get your email, thank you so much for the info. Im looking into the costs and details of shipping right now and am trying to figure out what I can accomplish in doing work on the Van before it needs to hit the docks.

I sent Johnny a couple of photos of the Van as I found it...Im in the process of deeply polishing the original finish and Ive got an oil leak I must chase down ( dont we all? ) and the driver's seat has an errant spring that makes long drives uncomfortable! ;) Have to fix those issues!

Im keen to building it to suit...I have the resources here to do anything. I have access to the whole So Cal pool of VW stuff...

Anyone need anything delivered to the show?
Maybe I can pack it in with the Bus and save people some shipping money (and help cover my costs a bit).

mroldbug said:
Anyone need anything delivered to the show?
Maybe I can pack it in with the Bus and save people some shipping money (and help cover my costs a bit).

If you want to bring some desireable stuff, then as much og early westfalia campmobile fittings and parts as possible - there is always a shortage of these bits.
Deluxe items such as clocks, trim, etc will aways sell well.

I think body parts and panels are pretty well covered in the UK, but its the extras that people hunt for. Just my thoughts. :)

Im assuming you are meaning Early Bay Westy stuff? Not split screen?

I prefer not to bring panels anyway...too big. I plan to sleep in the Van during the trip...hard to do that on a pile of doors!

mroldbug said:
Im assuming you are meaning Early Bay Westy stuff? Not split screen?

I prefer not to bring panels anyway...too big. I plan to sleep in the Van during the trip...hard to do that on a pile of doors!

Well it will all sell, but yes, early bay westy parts :)

Latest posts