Single port 1600, twin carbs a good idea? what would work?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin

Reaction score
Hi, been meaning to put twin carbs on my bus for ages, but i really dont want any running problems so i dont know if i should do it, or would it be a good idea?,

i have had twin 45's on a 16v mk1 and mk2 golf, no problems there at all, i had twin kadrons on my old fasty in '96 they never really worked properly, and cold starting was a problem, but at the time i didnt care becuase i had a sweet fasty!! so you can see i know the score with having carbs.

so is it a good idea with a SP 1600 engine? in the long run i'd like to keep the engine, as it works so well, has no end float, and now doesnt leak any oil. I'll only replace it if it breaks beyond repair, or i come in to some money to get a bigger one!!

So, are they any good on a SP engine? which ones works best? can you get electric chokes that are hassle free? i've had a look about in all the usual places, but most only show carbs for TP engines.

it would be cool if someone could point me in the right direction.

cheers

Austin

I can heartily recommend the twin 34 Weber ICT conversion from Eurocarb. Tell them the spec of your engine and they'll send the carbs ready-jetted although you'll still need a short session on a rolling road to make sure. I fitted a pair and with an exhaust, saw gains of 8bhp and 8lbft at the wheels and similar improvements in driveability. They sounds lovely too and while I haven't been bothered, a lot of people report at least the same fuel economy, if not better...

One word - if I was going to be fitting the conversion myself, I'd pull the engine out and do it on the floor, as there's much better access. But that's just me.

Jimbly said:
I can heartily recommend the twin 34 Weber ICT conversion from Eurocarb. Tell them the spec of your engine and they'll send the carbs ready-jetted although you'll still need a short session on a rolling road to make sure. I fitted a pair and with an exhaust, saw gains of 8bhp and 8lbft at the wheels and similar improvements in driveability. They sounds lovely too and while I haven't been bothered, a lot of people report at least the same fuel economy, if not better...

One word - if I was going to be fitting the conversion myself, I'd pull the engine out and do it on the floor, as there's much better access. But that's just me.

Thanks mate, is your engine single port? And do you have electric chokes? Do you have any starting problems at all?

Cheers

No worries.

Yep, mine's a single port.

There are no chokes on the ICTs but it doesn't really need them and I haven't had any starting issues - it goes on first pop and while it's a bit lumpy for the first minute or so, you just tickle it along until it warms up slightly and you're away.

Hope this helps.

Jim

The 34ICT conversion is fantastic and will transform your bus, the increased torque is great, i get much better MPG too. I run a 1600SP with a Turbo Thomas exhaust, no H/Ex so running J-Tubes, I converted to electronic ignition and you will have to change the distributor for a Vac/Mech advance unit as the standard SP dissy is Vac only and will run out of advance at high revs. Get the carbs from Eurocarb and they will supply the manifolds to suit the SP, but i recomend a trip to the rolling road to get set up as with mine the jets still needed matching to the engine for peak proformance/millage. Overall the motor pulls strongly all thru the rev range and is great when towing a trailer as i do with 2 adults and 3 kids and all camping gear. The SP heads are not prone to cracks either.

If you want to ask any Qs feel free to PM me and ill talk you through it all.

Just

Oh and on the point of chokes, like said above you will not notice a difference except on the cold mornings when its a bit lumpy for a minute.

Weber 34 ICT's are perfect for a single port engine.
What's the point in fitting a twin choke carb to a single inlet port?

003-23.jpg

:mrgreen:

Funny this thread has come up as I was asking this question to a few VW lads last week.They recommended 'Dellorto FRD's' (which means nothing to me!) I've been told they are the easiest to use,basically fit & forget - what the thoughts on these for a SP?

Is there any twin carbs where one doesn't have to cut off the oil bath stand?

Arnt FRDs in short supply? I think thats what puts people off is finding a set? I am possibly wrong tho......

Picture120.jpg

Picture124.jpg

I bent the filter stand out the way to clear the carbs (just about make it out here), should i wish to return to stock it will be a simple job 8)

Just

streetboy said:
Hi creationblue, did you leave the warm air intake tube in for any reason?

Hi Streetboy, that pic was work-in-progress, i replaced the rear tin for one that blanks out the fresh air ducts and removed them.

Just

made my mind up now!! gonna get a set of ict's within the next couple of weeks, only thing is.......... who makes the best linkages for these carbs? i have heard and seen that the empi ones are shite.

i have seen a few different makes, i.e. cb performance, but there is a bit if speculation if they will fit the ict's.

any help from those who know would be cool.

cheers

Austin

Eurocarb sale the carbs with a hex linkage kit, i found it to be fine for the job, you will just need an extra spring as per my pic above to get the carbs to fully shut.

Just

Latest posts