Size of garage

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dublicious

Reaction score
Hi all,

Random question, what would be a good size garage which would allow you to jack up the camper a little, work round it? It would be a home garage and light use.

Just pondering a few things, as I will be laying a base anyway and thinking of making it big enough for future garage ;)

Thanks

I'd go as wide as space practically allows you; I'd be well happy with 2 - 3ft all the way around.
You'd probably find yourself filling any spare space with shelves, benches/trollies.

Currently got a standard 60's style garage which leaves less than 1/2ft on one side and 1 1/2ft just on the other. Bit of a squeeze but can just access one side of the bus - which means the Bay sliding door makes a big difference; Would struggle to open the doors on a Splitty.

Biggest game changer was swapping the original 60's up and over door for a roller one; Obviously more height but also before could only have the bus jacked up with the up and over door closed, as when it was open it sat about an inch above the bus roof.

A stock bus is about 4.5m long, 1.75m wide and just under 2.0m tall.
If you open both cab doors fully and measure from door latch to door latch through the cab that'll give you the minimum width for ease of access around the bus. And then add as much as you can, the more space the better.

Like others have said, go as big as you can manage. I recently went from a 24ft x 12ft to a 17ft x 10ft and it’s a bit of a squeeze to get stuff done.
Having said that, I’ve had the wheels off and had it up on axle stands. I have just bought an Empi jack pad so I won’t have to slide jack underneath anymore. I now have a separate workshop with all my gear in and the garage is also at the property unlike the previous one, swings and roundabouts I guess 👍

you thought about digging an inspection pit? I'm looking at plans for a new double garage and thinking about having one rather than installing a lift.

I've just increased my door height, but have no chance of getting a lift in the garage at all. I've toyed with the idea of a pit but have a little issue of a high water table around and under the garage, just about four inches under the slab as it is during peak wet weather. Maybe not worry too much and just use it in the summer perhaps?
:)
Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no problemo right now though:):):eek::love::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::sneaky::cool:

I've just increased my door height, but have no chance of getting a lift in the garage at all. I've toyed with the idea of a pit but have a little issue of a high water table around and under the garage, just about four inches under the slab as it is during peak wet weather. Maybe not worry too much and just use it in the summer perhaps?
:)
Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,no problemo right now though:):):eek::love::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::sneaky::cool:
I believe you can get watertight preformed fibreglass ones for exactly the situation you describe regarding the high water table. Best installed during a dry spell though as you wouldn't want it bobbing up like a cork before the concrete floor was set.....

I believe you can get watertight preformed fibreglass ones for exactly the situation you describe regarding the high water table. Best installed during a dry spell though as you wouldn't want it bobbing up like a cork before the concrete floor was set.....
Interested in that as I’m planning to install a garage pit in the future 👍

I really like the sound of that and for Ben that’d be a no brainier as you could easily form your D.P.M. Into it during construction. A little trickier though with an existing concrete floor and joining into an ancient D.P.M. but def doable. I can’t believe I haven’t thought of this before or even heard of it but it’s a great idea but Im sure you’d need to form a decent retainer around it . Im thinking just about any G.R.P. Tank could be used if it was big enough. :)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,off to investigate now :)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, OOooooohhhhh, they look nice (y)

Last edited:

Latest posts