Socket and Spanner sets

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heebee_GB

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a decent quality yet reasonably priced socket set, and/or spanner set to use for general van maintenance at home?
What do you all use? I've got a few bits and pieces but thought I might ask for a full set off Santa. :D

Halfords Professional isn't bad gear. I use Britool, GearWrench, Blue Point and Snap On but they are for daily abuse

ProfessorWheeto said:
Halfords Professional isn't bad gear. I use Britool, GearWrench, Blue Point and Snap On but they are for daily abuse

I agree - my main toolkit is Halfrauds Professional but I pick up Snap-On when I can. The Halfords stuff is good quality and comfortable to use - it seems pretty robust too and most of it carries a lifetime guarantee.

;)

Yeah, I bought a Halfords Professional socket set a couple of years ago for £99 and its really good, plus you can add to it easily.

halfords professional range is good value, reasonable price and if i remember correctly they have a lifetime warrenty on build/materials :D

Halfords as said above

blag a trade card, or find a mate with one for some discount, although they often have goods deals on

I use a mixture of britool, draper expert, beta, roubuck, teng, snap op, eloma basically anything i lay my hands on at the right price.
As with most things buy the best you can afford. I tend to find the sockets pretty much the same, the money is in the ratchet and to be honest you need a mixture of 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2 drive sets. i also have a 3/4" breaker bar for the awkward nults but this is a monster and most bolts shear before loosening

Got my Halfords stuff when I got my van, back in 1990 - still going strong.

Halfords, britool, teng, snap on and King Dick (mainly because I'm very childish but they are very good tools)

Halfords Pro is good, but the lifetime warranty doesnt apply to moving parts ... socket ratchets and ratchet spanners. :roll: To be fair if you push it, they can and will exchange bust ones, I stripped a 19mm ratchet spanner, but worth noting. ;)

i have the big pro halfords set (£200 reduced to £100), the lifetime guarantee is great, ive only snapped a philips head socket in the 5 years ive had it they replaced it no quibbles. the spanners are pretty good quality they have a set of 3 ratchet head spanners which are brilliant for tight spaces.

Like many ive got bits and pieces from all over the place and stuff ive liberated from work, but my main socket set is a draper expert and they usually have some good deals at this time of year, and ive got a open spanner/ratchet ring set from halfords pro range and some open/ring spanners also by draper that i keep in the van.
They all have pretty decent offers on at this time of year its just a case of finding the set for you. £100 off a set from halfords is no good if it dosent have the socket size and fitting size you require.

the only socket i had to buy other than this set was for the rear hub, but there arent to may sets that carry a socket that big. I think it cost me @ £20 on its own :shock:

Obviously a 1/2" socket will fit any 1/2" drive, but it quite handy being able to pop down to Halfords and get any extras one might need if required.
Friend had a Halfords set from a good 5-6 years ago, and the case had broken - he rang them up and they sent a new case (slightly different design, but worked) out right away, no questions.
As always, no doubt service can vary depending on who you speak to...

Picked one of these up for £25, as it had been "damaged". ;)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_728767_langId_-1_categoryId_165572" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I needed a tool chest for the garage anyway and for the money I can replace any bits with decent stuff as it wears/breaks.

I started buying Snap-on when an apprentice and still have 99% of that stuff 30 years on. Failures are 3/8" drive ratchet ( the second mechanism to fail in such a short space of time) and the 1/2" breaker bar which for some reason gave way with a length of scaffold pole stuck on the end and me bouncing up and down on it.
Snap -on is great but like a footballer, the cost is disgustingly, rediculously, obscene. Have seen the Halfords stuff and it does seem to be very good at a not too silly price.
Personally I now use a fair bit of 'Kennedy' tools. Not so pretty to look at but they fit properly are nice to use and are fairly cheap. Price matters so I have tools to take on site for work, tools for at home and tools to keep in the bus.
Britool and King Dick are classic top quality kit and I hear good things about Teng Tools.
For Gods sake do NOT buy from Argos, mail order, pound shops or market stalls. If it costs the same as a pound of cheddar cheese, then chances are that's what it is made from.

Latest posts