• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

SOLD 69 Panel Van - price drop to £8000 PX now considered

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lethal

Reaction score
A little bit of an odd one for me folks, Ive had a lot of Vw's but putting this up makes me feel physically sick.

As with a lot of people selling their pride and joys, this sale is extremely hard and only being done as a rare opportunity has arisen (for me to buy a dream home).
People like to use the term - head turner- in their adverts. this has been a lot more than that for me. Not only do, families, kids, people at traffic lights and people in car parks stop and talk and ask to have their photo taken etc
but this van has been has been the cause of many new friends made at Vw shows, a real social barrier breaker. Ive turned up to some events just to have a look around and have been ushered into line ups.

1969 Vw Panel van - Early bay
Left Hand Drive -
1600CC
Tax free
MOT until August 7th - One advisory - n/s/r shock bush perished.
Seat belts up front.
Black Radar wheels

The history:

Imported in 2009ish by Graham at Midland early bay, from the USA.
Here Jerry (formerly known as Monty) received an overhaul, disc brakes up front, dropped spindles, horseshoe plates on the rear. The Van was used by the company to transport goods - as it should !
In 2011 this was sold on to a lovely family who sorted out a rusty lee rock n roll bed and put their own personal touch on the van. This was owned by them for a year before they decided to sell on for a bay window with more windows.
In September ish 2012 whilst looking for a T5 , I came across this on the early bay forum, she who must be obeyed pretty much insisted that this was the one for us. Being a fan of classic Vw commercials I agreed.

During my ownership:

on the drive home a spring popped out of the drivers chair and ripped the backside out of my new trousers, I wasn’t amused but went with the battered and worn look for a year.

New starter motor.

New wiper blades.

new points.

new distributor cap

new spark plugs.

new HT leads.

4 new Cv boots fitted.

I am a big fan of Spiced Rum, and as the van didn’t have any sign writing, I paid £400 to have my favourite brand painted on the van by a sign writer.

I have had a custom silver logo badge made for the rear - which states 1969 Panel Van instead of the usual Volkswagen logo. (about twenty quid if i remember correctly)

I have had a custom Buddy box made - distressed - with the sailor Jerry logo put on. this is a slow close unit, not presently fixed in place. (about 140 because of custom paint etc)

I stripped the van out - bagged all the insulation that was in there, and decked the van out in wood cladding. It’s not everyones cup of tea, and it’s not perfect - but the idea of the look was classic american saloon/ beer barrel. I get a lot of comments, some cheeky ones about it being a sauna.

I have had a custom screen cover made - with sailor Jerry logo on it.

I have had a custom rear blind made with magnets in the seams to stick up and saves curtain rails etc, easy stick on pull off.

I bought a cab bunk for our sprog. the material has started to come undone on one seam - but is perfectly safe, she loves it, Im convinced any child would find the whole experience pretty amazing.

In October 2013 I have had the front two seats and door cards upholstered in red.

new indicator lenses and seals.

new unfitted tailgate window seal comes with the van.

Ive done a fair few long journeys at 200 + miles each, always without issue.

as with most bays/splits with aftermarket wheels, the speedo is inaccurate, it has been on the last 4 Vans I’ve had, this has never been an issue for me.

the rear three cushions don’t fit and were home made by the previous owners, I was due to get some made up from my upholsterer but this never materialised

Body work:

Van is near on mint underneath, essentially the underneath sold the van to me. Chassis is solid and sound.

The body has dents and dinks of time, just how a classic commercial should be. No hidden filer here, the vans life is plain to see.

you have to hold the indicator stalk down when turning left as a small screw is missing. this has been the case since I bought the Van.

the only thing I noted when viewing was the nearside cab floor has slight corrosion and has formed a hole now.

The engine when cold runs lumpy for around 3/4 minutes, after this its fine. I had a compression test done when I started to notice this , and all was well. If I wasn’t selling, I would be stripping the engine and going through the usual replacing all the oil seals and setting the carb up.

I don’t want to sell it, so the price is set at what I want to achieve for it. I’ve been around VWs for a while, I’ve never been this attached to one. The price is less than Ive spent buying the van and spending money on it. I appreciate some may think the price is too high and it's the wrong time of year - But this is for a special reason, and It's what I need to achieve to be worth letting the van go.

It is Left Hand Drive, this isn’t for the faint hearted. Driving a LHD panel takes some skill and determination - as quoted on the earlybay forum “ you have to be pretty hardcore to run a LHD panel in the UK”

Van will also come with a pedal lock, that again I purchased from the earlybay forum.

More pictures here http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q123/lethal71/Jerry%2069%20Panel/DSC03096.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

£10,500 located just outside Peterborough

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

This last week I've sold my laptop my DSLR and my go pro. I'm still 8k short.
With that in mind I'm now dropping the price to 8k.
This is what I paid for the van before spending any money, I don't want to reduce the price but I've had no serious interest and I am at risk of losing the chance to buy this house.

It won't come with the screen cover/rear blind or buddy box/child bunk at that price.

If the van doesn't sell in the next couple of weeks I'll hold off and increase the price when the show season starts again.

Thanks for looking.

The auction listing ends tomorrow on fleabay, if it doesn't sell the classified remains. Can take paypal if you cover the fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts