Sound deadening panels engine bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaughan

Reaction score
Hi,
While the engine is out I thought I would replace the old 4 piece sound deadening panels above engine bay in my 70 ,
The og ones I've just taken out are warped , I've read they could be asbestos ,
Anyone know if it's likely and where to buy new ??
Cheers
Vaughan

I’ve never read about them being asbestos. You can flatten them with some weight but they will sag again, eventually.

After having the auto fire extinguisher installed I’ve just taken the two main panels out and I have insulation above the engine deck instead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

We replaced our original sound deadening panels (which had disintegrated) with foam panels about 10mm thick can't remember where we got the roll of foam from but if you dig hard enough you will probably find some, we used the original tabs and high temperature spray adhesive to mount them.
Hope this Helps

Got mine from Rackhams in Ipswich, was a few years ago now so not sure if they still do them. Probably best to give them a call as their website seems geared to their body repair business now. The fit was great and they even supplied the rivets .

I got mine from Rackhams 2 years ago,sturdy and good fit ; they're advertised on ebay under "VW camper engine boards"

I also replaced the ancient sound deadening material with Noise killer lead sandwich

Latest posts