Splify 67 built uk panel resto

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67panel

Reaction score
So for Splifys 50th birthday I am treating him to a rebuild. Removing all those 90s bodge repairs , some just by pulling with my hands!!!!! For those that don't know the name came from the reg (SPF) and the extra long roll up papers in the fag tray. have a weeks hols so got stuck in almost have the front arch fitted and floor pan is removed ready for new crossmembers, have an NOS rear side panel and a LHD panel for opposite slider. Had to do usual repairs to chassis behind outriggers .

So slight cockup , front under floor top hat is narrower . No problem to cut ends a remake returns but need to know the width between inner sills. don't trust the "correct" width outriggers as 100% , the very rear ones don't fit against chassis by 2/3mm at front edge. The top hat section is spot on square and outer ends line up so know that's correct. Mind you its an October 67 built bus and may be slightly different, but don't think that should be the case.

So the only way I can get pics posted is one at a time , when I click to load 2 or more it puts the icon? in the middle of the previous photo WTF!!! bloody computers. Any way back to the plot, centre crossmember cut out as when I removed top hat section it was rusty as inside and have a Schofield one any way. Of course chassis rusted through behind all outriggers so Sundays job repair chassis and fit crossmember and if time top hat and out rigger, just one top hat then and can fit sill and then test fit rear panel.

Got on well today, chassis repaired and rear crossmember welded in, top hat fitted and o/s out rigger. Cut next top hat off strengthener plate around gear tube was a bitch to clean up in situ so cut front one in half and welded it back on after new top hat fitted. had time to spot weld inner sills on as well so can now trial fit rear side panel. Did take pics but cant be arsed to put them up now.

fitted the nearside out riggers, inner sill and I beam sections today but ran out of welding gas. Prept the new rear side panel (edges have got a bit battered in storage) just need to clean a few bits of weld/old panel of and can trial fit , that's a job for Thursday (day off) after I have fetched some gas.

so will repost pics when I get time but here are the latest, stuck till I can afford some more panels and panel adhesive to fit side to wheel arch

slow progress, not been able to weld for a few weeks due to an eye infection. Finished fitting the side panels today and sold some stuff so just ordered some more bits from scofields. Putting of doing the plug welds to the roof joint , need anti gravity!!!!

not managed much , life getting in the way but ordered load bay floors at Bus Fest . Welding side panel swage in slowly trying not to distort it. Started on cab floor and of course 68 floor is different due to pedal box/master cylinder mounting . Nothing a hammer and dolly cant fix!!!!. Need to strip throttle linkage out as bearing for cross shaft worn twice as wide as it should be,will make my own bearing. Problem is roll pins wont come out and run out of blow torch gas . Will get some one night on way home.

Latest posts