Spring Valley Bus meets Corvair

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For ever I didn’t realise there was a cover that went over this

Now I have said cover

Small things. Saturday’s job is to replace this again!

It’s the 2nd or 3rd that snapped. This time I’m changing the tube that connects to the master cylinder. A length of 1/2” PTFE fits a treat

Also made this recently, it’s a removable sub

Like I said I’ve had a bit of spare time in between work

Standard 002 gearbox ratios are:
1st - 3.80
2nd - 2.06
3rd - 1.26
4th - 0.82
Final drive 5.375 (1968-71) or 5.428 (1972-79)

So your new gearbox has had the 091 final drive fitted.
I don't understand the 2rd/3rd gap, as the ratios are the same in both 002 and 091 gearboxes.

Standard 091 ratios are:
1st - 3.78
2nd - 2.06
3rd - 1.26
4th - 0.88
Final drive 4.571

So today’s job was to replace the brake fluid reservoir and the pipe that connects the res to the master cylinder, mainly because the barb has snapped off the last two reservoirs in as many years so I figured the pipe was the culprit as it is pretty solid. I used 1/2” epdm tube, this fits the MC & res perfectly and also goes through the hole in the bulkhead too.

In with the new

Hopefully it will hold the fluid longer than the last two!

Also had a clunk over potholes coming from the rear, I knew it was nothing I had already had apart but was puzzled, on the ramp the ns top shock bolt had nearly wound fully out so another easy fix there!

Last job of the morning was to fix the annoying loud squeak that the gear stick made when in neutral, took it out, found a dry joint above the spring, back together and nice and quiet!

So for now I’m happy that everything is working, I’m not liking the small ACA tacho that I have attached to the steering column as it jumps about and I’m not sure it’s that accurate so may look into finding a replacement that fits under the dash somewhere, anyone know of a suitable tacho?

Can't help on the tacho - soz.
The pipe looks very thick, but take it, it works well.
Glad the other issues were easy to resolve - keep up the good work :)

Thanks Andy

Yes the pipe is thicker than original but the ID is spot on to fit both the MC and the res, also much more flexible so hoping wont snap the barb off the res. Time will tell.....

Heebee_GB said:
Looking good Just. Hope you and the family are well mate.

Hey Gaz, long time no see! All good thanks mate, how are the girls, growing up I guess! I assume your bus has had its makeover and all those parts you had stashed away are well and truly fitted 8)

mike202 said:
Good to see you back on here, and are still running the Corvair engine successfully.

Hope the new gearbox works out ok !

Thanks Mike, Im hoping too! Taking the engine out is really boring me now!

creationblue said:
Heebee_GB said:

Hey Gaz, long time no see! All good thanks mate, how are the girls, growing up I guess! I assume your bus has had its makeover and all those parts you had stashed away are well and truly fitted 8)

All good here too mate. Girls are growing up way too fast. I bet your clan are too!
Regarding the bus....What do you think mate?! :lol: :lol: Change of role for me in work at the end of the year so home more so as Del boy says next year Rodney next year!!

Heebee_GB said:
creationblue said:
Heebee_GB said:

All good here too mate. Girls are growing up way too fast. I bet your clan are too!
Regarding the bus....What do you think mate?! :lol: :lol: Change of role for me in work at the end of the year so home more so as Del boy says next year Rodney next year!!

All in good time, no point in rushing!

As sparky says unless the 6 rib was rebuilt with different gear sets the ratios should be the same. I had my 6 rib rebuilt with course Tooth 3rd & 4th and also had those gears made longer while we were in there, quite likely someone did the same. Doubt it would be a t25 box as the selector mechanism is different

creationblue said:
Hi Matt

Good to see another Corvair powered bus! Wow it’s been a while indeed since I posted on here! Lots of updates on my IG, you can find me using the same user name as here. Engine has just been out whilst I changed the gearbox from a 6rib 091 to a 3rib with a longer 4th.

As for the question about the seal, I made a tin section to cover the area around the gearbox then used the VW seal for a type4 engined bus, I cut a doner valance (kept my Og one) so it all looks stock when the engine lid is closed.

I see you have looped the oil filter lines, are you not adding a remote filter? Mines under the battery tray

Just

That loop was just for the first engine start. I installed a filter just like yours, I think I got the idea from your page.

Just checking in, need to change the clutch along with some seals in the motor in the coming weeks, will post some pics in due course.

Looking forward to show season, getting out in the old girl and meeting some peeps!

For those that dont know I do a radio show on Vdubradio on a Sunday at 3pm, would love to have some of you EarlyBayers in the chat this weekend. :cool:

Latest posts