• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Steering box anyone?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rikki James

Reaction score
I know this is a bit of a "shot in the dark" but does anyone have a NOS rhd 1969 steering box they'd like to sell? I've been through 3 (including rebuilt units) and my steering is still crap and ridiculously heavy! :(

Cheers

Rikki

Rikki James said:
I know this is a bit of a "shot in the dark" but does anyone have a NOS rhd 1969 steering box they'd like to sell? I've been through 3 (including rebuilt units) and my steering is still crap and ridiculously heavy! :(

Cheers

Rikki

Might not be the box then Rikki, idler maybe? Plenty of wind in the wheels? Is it ok on jacks ? Are they adjusted up too tight?

But you never know. Have you tried other Earlies as a comparison?

Ozziedog,,, ,,,,,, mines not brill :roll:

There is currently a RHD, NOS one on eBay (Buy it Now) for the eye watering price of £850!

Is this the one that started off at £999 a few months ago?

I know it is the other end of country from you but CPS of Team Valley, Tyne and Wear do a great job of refurbushing steering boxes. 0191 482 1690. I had my Karmann Ghia original steering box refurbushed by them and was and still am pleased.If it is box that is the problem give them a call and if satisfied with price send it to them.
Robert

£850 sound eye watering don't it. If I told you that you needed a new steering box for a modern car and it was that plus labour, most peeps would stump up and shut up :D They might wince but they'd pay it. I guess it's because we know what these are actually costing back in the day is what makes your knees tremble.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, go on someone,,, be brave! :lol:

True - my son just paid that for an ECU for his 13 year old Citroen C3

We can rebuild a box for you Rikki, we are currently looking at getting new worms produced in LHD and RHD, hope to have more info in the new year.

Latest posts