Steering wheel

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren2030

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Was thinking about treating the old bus to a new steering wheel and was after a little advice if poss on a good one really and are they a pain to fit as have heard of people having a right headache fitting them the only couple makes ive seen about are the mcj and aircooled accessories ones which look pretty cool 😎

Cheers fellas,
Darren

I dont think they're a pain to fit, but rather a pain to remove.
My bus has got a metal/wood one from (I think) http://www.autocrafteng.co.uk/shop/bay-window_109/steering-and-suspension_51/steering-wheelfslashcolumn_553/ So much nicer than a stock one, but not as comfortable I'd imagine.

Hi yeh sorry that’s what I meant cus mine also has a couple cracks in the middle so was bit concerned about removing it! Is there a special tool or anything to remove the old wheel or do you remove the nut and pull off mate!?

They are a massive arse to remove (if they've never been off before). They're on a tapered spline, and are wedged on good and proper!

Not sure where I got them from, but I've got two U-shaped thick washer-type things that I slot underneath, then can use a big puller (or a short one at its absolute limit, in my case!). I left the but on, but loosely, so the thing didn't go flying with a pop, and the puller, and tapping with a mallet eventually got it off.

Refitting is easy. Just remember (or mark before you remove your OG one) where the centre line is.

It can be quite annoying when your bus is pointed in a straight line and your steering wheel is askew!

I’m not quite sure what George has done to take his wheel off but I strongly recommend not following his advise as he’s not quite right in the head. Any body that uses their butt in this process may be slightly deranged :mrgreen: The one thing for certain , is to pop the nut back on a couple of turns to save it flying off and taking your teeth with it when it eventually releases :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,but,, leave your butt out of it :mrgreen:

Tragically during lockdown some folk no longer know their butts from their nuts. The sooner we are allowed back to the pub the better.....

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

Latest posts