Stonor park, slightly miffed!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slammedkustom

Reaction score
had a good weekend at stonor camping out with my girlfriend and terry aka harliquin, sunday thought id put the bus in the show n shine. washed the bus down polished it up, cleaned inside n out all looking good.
took it up to the show area, paid to put it in the show and gave it another rub down.
had people around it all day, lots of nice compliments and then wandered over to the prize giving... didnt win, ho hum never mind. went and got my judging form and was a little shocked.

got 20 out of 20 for both paint and engine bay, 18 for exterior as i lost 2 points for "pitted wiper arms" fair enough but i also lost points because i had a "modified cab mat" which is odd as its stock and i lost 5 points because my "wheels were not dressed" although scrubbed clean they werent covered in that god awful tyre shine! :roll:
thats all fair enough but what narked me was one section "chassis/undercarrige" wasnt even marked which lost me 20points and the icing on the cake was i lost 6 points because i had taken the face off the stereo :shock: now i understand the judges want you to leave the doors unlocked so they can have a look inside but im not leaving my stereo face on for someone to nick for a laugh, why not leave the keys in the ignition FFS :roll:

im no trophy hunter but id atleast like my bus judged properly if im going to the trouble of getting up early to wash n polish it :evil:
next time ill leave it on the campsite :shock:

I had a similar experience with my split panel at BVF a few years ago. I had camped in it all weekend with my wife and son and they docked me points that our sleeping bags were in the back......they were covered up with a blanket that was made from the same material as the interior??

I also lost points for screws not facing in the right direction and my valves on the tyres being at different positions???????

2 years ago with my bay at BVF I lost out to a T5 in the show and shine........yes a brand new T5 beat my 69 bay, well there is a surprise :lol:

I still enter shows with my not so shiny bus but just to annoy the judges :roll: :lol:

I think your bus is an amazing custom and it would be hard to beat in that catagory, 20 for paint and engine bay says it all, nice one. 8)

bollocks to em mate, if you think it looks the business what else matters. its dead easy pulling other peoples buses to bits and picking at not so good bits, some of us have got a life and dont spend every waking hour applying polish to the underside just on the off chance some anorak pokes there nose in :D

Not that I'm a judge but I thought your bus looked the dogs danglies. It was the first time I had seen it in the flesh and was well impressed. 8)

Well, you'll know for next year. Dress your tyres in posh frocks and raise the bus off road stylee and you'll win!

I had a similar thing years ago when I put my fastback in the show at Stonor. I was happy to just put it in the pride and joy class but as there were next to no type 3's on show, me and another guy were persuaded to put our modified late fastbacks in to the stock type 3 class. Consequently both our cars lost to a somewhat battered and rusty notch when ours were in far better condition, just "slightly" modified. Consequently losing loads of points! Oh well! :?

cheers fellas, made me feel a bit better ;)

considering id camped in it that weekend and washed it in a field i did alright, i think it was them not scoring a whole section that burnt my balls :roll:

next time im in the carpark :shock: :lol:

I parked next to your bus at Stanford Hall. Your bus is amazing and so clean I cant believe it didnt win. Just show that the judges are on another planet with marking. I, amongst many others think your bus is great and more importantly if it make you happy then that's the most important thing. Dont bother entering it again if they cant see the effort that has gone into the build, that's their loss. But dont let it get you down.

Have you got a gallery thread on here of the build? if not get one up. then you'll get praise from folks that know how much effort if required to get a bus that good.

chin up fella! :mrgreen:

We looked and looked but couldn't easily spot a specific early-bay show n shine area. The kids were hindering us in our search though. Found all the splitties quite easily though.

Marvel said:
Yeah, I wanna see how you did those speaker pods.

MDDF and a jigsaw, they really are that simple ;)

VeeDubMan said:
We looked and looked but couldn't easily spot a specific early-bay show n shine area. The kids were hindering us in our search though. Found all the splitties quite easily though.

there wasnt one, i was in "modified T2" which also had a T4 in it?

again folks thanks for the kind words :oops: ;)

Looks like you have a really nice van there.

There are obviously people who will disagree but in my opinion the whole concourse thing is just too anal.

One car will get more points than the other because the split pins are chrome plated and the back of the wiper motor (which can only be seen with a dentists mirror) was polished to a mirror finish - etc.

I like to keep my vehicles nice but I like to use and enjoy them. If you want concourse you have to give up driving it and it becomes an unusable trailer queen - ask me how I know :lol:

Just use and enjoy is my advice :)

:lol: I was parked about 3 down from you (beige bay) The only reason was my mate in the brown/cream split behind you said it was a top parking spot for £3 !! which was true- however "show and shine" it was not. I just laughed when the judge came round as how can you do a concourse in a "modified" section ?? ,Anyway if its any consolation I thought yours was the nicest bus in that class,really clean lines and very different and obviously used for camping not polishing :roll:

I remember a few years ago at Stanford Hall, someone lost points due to the number
plate screws being of the incorrect type! :roll:

Trikky2 said:
Looks like you have a really nice van there.

There are obviously people who will disagree but in my opinion the whole concourse thing is just too anal.

One car will get more points than the other because the split pins are chrome plated and the back of the wiper motor (which can only be seen with a dentists mirror) was polished to a mirror finish - etc.

I like to keep my vehicles nice but I like to use and enjoy them. If you want concourse you have to give up driving it and it becomes an unusable trailer queen - ask me how I know :lol:

Just use and enjoy is my advice :)
100% agree with this, couldnt have put it better myself.

Aside from SK's experience - as that shows some basic judging errors - I quite like the anal approach shown at these events (now in the minority) such as Stonor and Stanford Hall, I like the opportunity to be there for the buffers to be buffed as it enables us to see cars that are just so perfect and encourages those who can be arsed to create such a car.
For me, I also love events like Brighton Breeze where judges pick cars they 'like the overall look of' .... takes all sorts, and thats cool.

SK - kudos for the points awarded that reflect the work you did. Be chuffed! 8)

Clem said:
For me, I also love events like Brighton Breeze where judges pick cars they 'like the overall look of' .... takes all sorts, and thats cool.

Thats cos you've have won a 'top 10' award there twice Mike ;) :lol:

EgoTrippin said:
Clem said:

Thats cos you've have won a 'top 10' award there twice Mike ;) :lol:

Thats not true!

(Its three times! :lol: )

Latest posts