Strange clutch noise...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallingoffalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had my van about 2 weeks now and enjoying it a lot. There is one thing that's bothering me though is that a noise has developed since I've had it.

It's when I depress the clutch - it's louder when the engine is cold, and seems less when the engine is warm - it's a whirring noise that sounds very much like a thrust bearing and the noise changes as the pedal is pressed.

There is no noise for the 1st 25% of travel then a feint noise from 25-75%, then a louder noise for 75-100%. But the engine and clutch are new they were all replaced about 500 miles ago. The clutch was replaced with a stronger one for the 1776 engine.

Any ideas what it could be? Or any other diagnostics I could perform?

I’m guessing it’s what you’re guessing, as in the thrust bearing, possibly a damaged finger on the pressure plate. My immediate thought is that perhaps it was installed and the clutch cable was a tad tooooo tight, or sometimes the little retaining clips on the bearing seem to be seated but aren’t quite and you end up with the bearing sitting a little squiffy which might wear it out quickly. Also possible that it’s just a shit replacement part and no one on the planet could sort it .

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, shit parts ??? Whatever next :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen:

OK thanks for the reply Ozzi, I went down to M&J in Gloucester for a second opinion and he said more or less that, obviously it's an engine out job for inspection, but he did adjust the clutch cable to give it a tad more slack and this seems to have lessened the noise. I'll see how it goes, if it gets too noisy I'll either have to be brave and drop the engine myself or get M&J to do it.

I had this too, I thought the thrust bearing was dry, but then it got really bad and I couldn't change gear easily. the adjustment on the clutch and boded tube just wasn't enough. The pressure plate spring had failed....... It could be the beginning of a more serious problem (hope its not, but it just might be)

Latest posts