Strange noise help please

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montypsx

Reaction score
Hi all I’ve got a strange one :shock: it’s a cracking/clicking noise coming from the back of my 71 dorms (it sounds like a cv joint that’s gone on a front wheel drive car when on full lock) It happens when I accelerate or de-accelerate and braking makes no difference. It only happens sometimes there not a set pattern, usually when it’s warm but not always and I’ve done a couple of 50ish mile runs no noise at all. Done a 10 miler and it’s clicking like a good un.

The things I’ve done so far :lol:

Checked castle nuts all ok
Wheel nuts all ok tyres ok
Stripped the rear brakes and reset all good
Slight play in rear bearings drivers side more than the passenger side 1-1.5mm
No excessive play in the drive shafts
Checked gearbox oil level

Any ideas please
Answers on a post card :D :lol: :lol: thanks in advance

When was the last time you cleaned out your CV joints? New grease may be welcome too :mrgreen:
Or are we grasping at straws here.
Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, give your tyres a good once over too. :mrgreen:

Drive shafts it is then as they have near been done whist Ive owned it. Can I use the old boots or do I need new. Thanks all

As Wig says, only replace if they really need it, most of the new ones ain’t up to much. When you got him jacked up and axle stands etc etc, get under and gently turn the wheels, you may be able to feel it through the shafts with your finger tips just touching lightly as the shaft rotates. But not always,as your shafts are in a different position to when the rubber is on the deck. WEAR goggles or glasses as a minimum and have plenty of cleaning stuff to hand.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,good luck in the staying clean department ;)

😂😂 thanks for the heads up. No doubt my phone will ring as I’m underneath covered in grease 😂

Latest posts