strongys new resto,sorry not a bay.il add as i go

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongy

Reaction score
thought id do a bit of a resto thread for my 69 left hooker beetle,ive had the beetle 4 days now.

i started by removing the shell ,i put that to one side and started the chassis.the floors were ok but had loads of patches so they had to go first then i striped of every last thing.i kept my kit on tho so dont get all exsited :lol:

P1000819.jpg

P1000810.jpg

P1000821.jpg

P1000820.jpg

P1000823.jpg

P1000827.jpg

P1000828.jpg

P1000838.jpg

P1000834.jpg

P1000837.jpg

P1000843.jpg

P1000841.jpg

P1000845.jpg

P1000842.jpg

P1000866.jpg

P1000865.jpg

just waiting on my floor halfs to come now and the frame head sections.i was going to replace the whole frome head but dident like the idea of cutting the tunnel so just replacing parts ,i cut pleanty out tho to get the rust .

next job is to clean all the rust and metal back to bare,ive been thinking of geting it shot blasted and powder coated once the holes are plated up but im guessing thats gunna cost an arm and a leg need to get some prices.is there any one on hear that can do it????

il pop an update up when ive got the bits

it is,im using up the light evenings ,ive had it since thu so happy with the progress

droped it of at the shot blasters an hour ago, :shock: how speedy is that
P1000871.jpg

P1000870.jpg

P1000867.jpg

just need the floors from heratage and then its of for powder coating,

not sure what colour yet but dont want it black as you want be able to apreceate the hard work

Looking good work Strongy is it Peru green ? I've got a '69 1300 in Peru green that I'm using as my daily :D

not a clue what colour bud,well i have now :lol:

after striping it i realized it was powder blue before

oh unlucky browny you wanted to be a rig pig

panns are all welded in now,all new sections too, seem sealed and its just come back from the powder coaters,lets hope it keeps the rust away for another 40 years,i opted for black in the end,then im going to do the beam and rear suspention parts silver.

oh it got 2 coats of primer aswell,should have given them the camara really to show
P1010003.jpg

P1010010.jpg

P1010016.jpg

Eh Up strongy, nice looking project you have there (I remember you said you wanted another bug) is it staying as a left hooker or are you moving it to right (cant tell from the powder coated photos, did it come out as good as it looks?.

Cheers Nick & Zile

ye its come out fantastic looks like a new one ,really really happy with it,keeping it a left hooker.

not sure what style yet,fairly standard,slightly lowerd on droped spindles.disc conversion then eventualy a quick engine

im loving the bug on the cover of the latest volksworld,so might end up black?but it was born powder blue and the missus thinks i should go back to that.

its sunny and my mate is coming round to get his sandrail out of my garage so il get it out and take some beter pics later,

thats not the original colour tho,the original colour is light blue,if you look at the second pic from top,in the foot well you will see a small patch of it

got the gear box cleaned up painted,oil changed a fitted yesterday,using all new nuts n bolts and cleaned the driveshafts up ready for fitting

P1010024.jpg

P1010018.jpg

thats one nice looking floor plan, i have always wanted to do a bug, ground up!!

i'll keep an eye on this thread!

id love it if you could split a bay,would be a dream come true.

latest update....

its been a bit a slow time and money.

ive got all the rear cleaned up and fitted now.powdercoated silver arms and spring plates,painted all the handbrake,gearstick and foot controls,reasemballed and fitted these also.

P1010036.jpg

P1010040.jpg

Nice :D keep up the quality work chap and that will be one nice motor 8)

thanks easy.....

right i wasent going to be doing anything untill after the wedding but the missus has cleared of to holland for the week so im home alone

the chassis isent finished but it needs cash spending on it so im leaving that for now,and il do a bit on the shell.

the boot floor was perferated and basicly rotten so ive decided to replace the whole lot including the fire wall,it also has to come out to repair the inner wings properly...

i started by drilling out the spotwelds.....
IMG_1099.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1107.jpg

then i cut all the rot out of both the inner wing and the strenthener
IMG_1110.jpg

then welded in the botom part of the stengthener
IMG_1113.jpg

before i welded the next piece in over the top,i primed the inside with weldproof primer and allso primed the inside of the bit to be welded in
IMG_1116.jpg
IMG_1120.jpg

then cleand it back and pus some primer on just for now(what looks like a bent pannel in the pic is actually supose to be there :) )
IMG_1122.jpg

the slit at the bottom front edge is not welded yet as the cross member needs a repair and joins hear,il do that once the floors in,i dont want the thing folding in half :mrgreen:
IMG_1118.jpg

this side tomorow if its nice
IMG_1123.jpg

Latest posts