Stu & Clare Present Murphy - Aircooled Campout 2020 Pics

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StuF

Reaction score
Following a meeting with Dean aka Gadget last Oct (2011) about a possible new bus for us!! We decided to embark on a slight resto project with a 1970 LHD Westie he had brought over from Florida.

UI4KN.jpg

RjSeH.jpg

KZJgm.jpg

y0QUG.jpg

fLWZm.jpg

7LBaq.jpg

Qbpcg.jpg

6bNpP.jpg

WG3Y0.jpg

vF0M1.jpg

fLuZ1.jpg

ub1oe.jpg

SoFsv.jpg

vYIwW.jpg

z6Wj7.jpg

Lots of pics here http://s70.photobucket.com/user/sdfordyce1978/library/1970%20Westie%20Pop%20Top?sort=2&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And although Dean will be doing a full build thread concerning the several hundred hours he spent restoring "Murphy" I thought we should share a few pictures with everyone.

Aside from the replacement floor/sills/rear arches/ new poptop etc etc we decided to have a slighty upgraded camper and went for some aftermarket additions.Firstly we had the interior reupholstered!

XeWiy.jpg

Then we went for a few more additions namely a CSP disk brake kit, 4'' Narrowed Slamworks adjustable front beam, rear adjustable springplates and some bling wheels.

hAQ8O.jpg

dSfL6.jpg

1EGn8.jpg

u9gY0.jpg

PaXMQ.jpg

The wifelet and I

RrHl8.jpg

Dean worked his magic on the engine - alternator kit and almost new everything (sits at 65 happily!)

LACiv.jpg

Starting to look a bit more like a bus now!

dDz6S.jpg

After getting MOT'd and insured the final stretch was installing some aux gauges and the deluxe brightwork

4ujLw.jpg

6F95H.jpg

Me pleased with the first section of belt line trim installed (scary drilling holes in your new bus!)

2EsKA.jpg

Number plates fitted and guess where "Murphy" came from?

nN9wI.jpg

Us taking him home (first drive since 1989!)

RBe9f.jpg

WA5oc.jpg

Since getting Murphy home we have had a little issue with starting (am getting a new starter motor tomorrow), a slight whine when the clutch pedal is fully depressed and a small electrical issue where some smoke emanated from the fuse box!

Will post further pics as we get out and about more -we are off to Harewood house this weekend (17-19 Aug 12) for VW Fest!
Come over and say hello if you recognise us!

Yep he has done an awesome job on the bus - shame 99% of the resto work is underneath!

OG Paint on the top - new underneath!

Not wanting to steal Deans thunder but here are some pics of the underneath

New Exhaust

nmFh8.jpg

Spax Shocks all round

vL9b5.jpg

General Shots

rbMQP.jpg

hcfJy.jpg

gvenz.jpg

WtN4V.jpg

iKo2Y.jpg

5Y496.jpg

Functional heating for the winter

pnBSO.jpg

NbCs1.jpg

And a final one of the master in his element!

OqFPU.jpg

Yep happy as a pig in the proverbial - looking forward to getting out and about and enjoying it!

Some pics from today after fitting headlamp protectors and curtains!

4PT6a.jpg

gTqEf.jpg

4uxgj.jpg

V7t31.jpg

mWd2f.jpg

rsINT.jpg

5FOJ4.jpg

Cheers for the kind words - we are thrilled with our bus!

Today I decided to replace the dodgy old starter motor with a nice new one from GSF - actually went quite well once I was told how to undo the top bolt! Should have no more issues with hot starts!

3enY4.jpg

Also fitted my shiny foot accelerator pedal although may remove this as it appears to make the pedal drop more and consequently rev more.

IEMLT.jpg

Love it mate, a job really well done! Looks a lovely bus!
My next project is the narrowed 4" beam on mine. You had any issues with it? Easy to fit?

I will see you at Harewood house mate, you camping? I'll be on show and shine on tho Sunday. If i don't see you before then, come say hi.

--------------------------------
Own a Bay?......Feel the love!

Dean aka Gadget fitted the Slamworks beam mate - he speaks very highly of their work. I love the look and the quality is exceptional.

Maybe drop him a PM for fitting advice or potential issues?

Yep the wife and I are in general camping and intend to get there pretty early for a decent spot - had a wicked time last year.

Good luck with the show and shine - will definately come over and say hello.

Well today I glued and fitted the two new front door seals ready for the weekend at Harewood House - tomorrow hopefully receive the rear hatch seal and accelerator pedal rebuild kit!

Busy busy busy

Oh and on a lighter note the wifelet had her first drive tonight of Murphy and it was an awesome sucess!

Now just back from VW Fest - had a great weekend and will post some pics up later on!

Met some great peeps but the weather took a turn for the worst this morning so we made a dash for it at lunch time!

Latest posts