Stupid primer question!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcfmonkey

Reaction score
I'm planning to get physical with body rust this winter and will be patching up with primer. Is primer on its own ok or will the bodywork rust through? I can't help thinking primer doesn't provide a waterproof coating and will need top coating.

Any ideas?

Moler ran his jet rocket in red oxide for a while, depends what primer you use but i dont reckon it'll be anywhere near as tough as proper paint whatever primer it is.

not much help, but there will be an expert along soon, as usual. lol

Most primers are porous and if you're exposing your bus to the elements than it will begin to rust where you have sanded.

Some primers contain a sealant and would be a better option. Ask an expert before you purchase, not the 16 year old working at Halfords.

antoine said:
Moler ran his jet rocket in red oxide for a while, depends what primer you use but i dont reckon it'll be anywhere near as tough as proper paint whatever primer it is.

Jet Rocket was run in red oxide primer from the beginning and is still in said primer :)

I used a non-porous rust inhibiting primer that was resistant to solvent, once fully cured was very hard wearing, and stuck to abraided bear metal as good as upol etch primer :)
http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/s/SIRRUSTPS/

What I have on my van is in red oxide only as primers tend to be porous I intend at some point to prime it just before I take it in for finishing. I was advised by my local body repair shop on that

Latest posts