Taking my gearbox out

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gearyboy6

Reaction score
How easy is it to remove my gearbox in my 71 bay?? never done it before, advise?? tips?? bits to replace when its out?

Matt

Of your engine is out it will take you half an hour.
If it's not out it's easier to take the engine out with the gear box.

Disconnect the cables from the starter motor, including the earth strap.
Undo the wing nut connecting the clutch cable to the gear box and the small bracket holding the clutch cable on
Disconnect the drive shafts 6mm Allen key either 6 or 8 bolts per drive shaft (don't loose the metal tabs between the bolts)
Support the gearbox (I used a Stella crate other makes are available)
Undo the linkage to the get leaver on the front of the box means snipping a securing wire and loosening it off. Move the gear lever to 2nd gear to separate them.
Undo the two mounting bolts and woohoo gear box out.

For mine I drained the oil too when it was out I replaced the release bearing for the clutch and the clutch. Also the rubber boot on the selector. And regressed the cv joints on the drive shafts and renewed the rubber on the mounting. Mine is still out of my van as it is a very sick van with lots of issues but was told when I put it back to have it attached to the engine and so both in one job as it's easier

Latest posts