The ever disappearing green goblin of a westy

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjhjoinery

Reaction score
Here's my 69 westy. Brought it of Leon last year and over the winter have been bringing her back to life.
zy8aqeta.jpg

gury3y3e.jpg

Now you can see why it's the green goblin.
Over the winter it's been to Deaddubs workshop to have the welding done, brake overhaul and lowered on horse shoes.
uzu2ujyz.jpg

7e4e8ape.jpg

Now it's back with me the plan is to remove all the green back to original paint. It's not as good as I hoped under there but I suppose that's the reason for it being painted.
Gonna give it a replica westy interior with bespoke upholstery.
yrurumuh.jpg

Tonight been working on removing paint and hopefully by the end of the weekend want to have the interior painted ready for the new wiring loom that's being built.
8era7e8a.jpg

3ugy2ysa.jpg

68_early_bay said:
Starting to come together Scott :D ready for dubdayz? 8)

Hopefully Stamford if my birth certificate gets here but we'll have to see.
Wants to be at Dubdayz trailer if needs be!!

Now it's back with me the plan is to remove all the green back to original paint. It's not as good as I hoped under there but I suppose that's the reason for it being painted.
yrurumuh.jpg

That replica buddy seat is looking good 8) . Where did you find the wood veneer?? it looks OG.

Steenfeldt said:
yrurumuh.jpg

That replica buddy seat is looking good 8) . Where did you find the wood veneer?? it looks OG.

We get it from one of out local suppliers.
It's not 100% and since I've done that NLA VW have released there exact copy.

sjhjoinery said:
Steenfeldt said:
yrurumuh.jpg

Yours does look very good, i bet it didn't cost £200 a sheet though.

radish said:
sjhjoinery said:
Steenfeldt said:
yrurumuh.jpg

Yours does look very good, i bet it didn't cost £200 a sheet though.

No where near that. Works out around £75 with vat

Managed to squeeze a day in on the bus, well had to squeeze a day in on the bus as the new wiring loom is being fitted Monday.
Started by removing the steering wheel to fit the new repro ignition barrel and electric bit. What an arse of a job, firstly realised I didn't have the main bit that it all clips into, luckily managed to source one from Deaddubs garage just down the road, but it still had the old berrel in. After looking for any obvious holes to press in to release the barrel and looking through pages but every one seemed to be different.

Eventually we took the plunge and drilled a 3mm hole in it where we thought it would be. And it was spot on. Good job we pried the mechanism out as it was at the back so wouldn't have got in to do it other wise.
After fitting the new Repro parts the lock turns really rough. So I'm leaving it out for now till I know it's working. Hopefully with time it'll ease up a bit.

After all the switches were refitted started on the green paint yet again and digging out some filler which turned out to be more than I thought!
etuzumu8.jpg

gy8y5y9a.jpg
danuny4y.jpg
y8u2a5ur.jpg

Got the wiring loom fitted Monday and the bus running last night, but then went to select gears and nothing. Checked the clutch cable that was good so out came the engine. Turns out the linkage shaft that comes out the bell housing has a surclip that was missing.
So today's job will be drain the oil out of the box bell housing off and locate the surclip. Then hopefully engine back in.

Just stripped the bell housing off in my dinner break. Just awaiting tonight to be shown the correct order for it to be reassembled then hopefully we'll be moving.
3yja9e4u.jpg

eba5adyn.jpg

New modern fusebox that comes with the loom
memajeta.jpg

nice work! interior is gonna be awesome, you should do that for a living ;) :mrgreen:

The cause of no drive a stripped stud that connects the rear drive shaft to the main drive shaft in the gearbox
y8u8a4uq.jpg

Worst thing is it's 7mm so no one has anything lying around!!!