The Parts Hauler

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squareweave

Reaction score
Well I am embarrassed to say that I ended up purchasing a new project. I found this 72 Sunroof online it just seemed to call my name, It was on the samba and was one of the first people to view the add late night. I spoke with the seller and once I got a description of the van I knew I would just have to buy it. All of the stars lined up as I was able to have this shipped from California to me in Canada within 4 days. It is currently waiting to clear customs and then it will be going into storage until the 69 sunroof is finished.

The deal maker was when the seller said that his dad bought it new in 72 and that if I wanted the van I would also have to take the OG roof rack and the rear bumper etc that were in the garage if I was going to buy. His dad is in his 80's and he just had his license taken away. He had been driving it to and from the store a few miles a couple of times a week and stored it in the garage its whole life. I though "Wellllllll if I have to take the roof rack I guess I will" ;) Its OG Kansas Beige and Pastel White paint and rust free. Here are a few pics:

Picture on the add that started it
4435747.jpg

Showing up on the car hauler at the border, you can see the original rack in this picture. I removed it so it doesn't go missing while in storage.
P1010045.jpg

Owners son in 1983 Sacramento Bugorama
Me_At_Sac_Swap_Meet_In_1983_09__Small.jpg

Dash plaques
P1010045-1.jpg

Nice straight sides
P1010042.jpg

P1010041.jpg

I guess this is why it is still in good shape, driving award hanging from the visor
P1010048.jpg

You have to love a sunroof 8)
P1010052.jpg

I had to take the tire off to see the nose and its mint. Just dirty. OG emblem going back on.
P1010053.jpg

Some decals and plaques. The owner was a fire fighter in Oakland, coincidence for me to buy it.
P1010050.jpg

P1010049.jpg

A few crappy interior pics. All of the original panels came with the van. They are all in nice shape. The only part that will need attention will be the headliner and the front seats are dried out and will need to be redone. It is very dusty and dirty inside.
P1010043-1.jpg

P1010044-1.jpg

DSCN2701.jpg

DSCN2703.jpg

Yesterday in the sun pulling it to storage until Friday
P1010044.jpg

P1010043.jpg

Sadly the 1970 Delta Green "Lunch Box" may be up for sale soon :(

I've been busy collecting loads of original parts for the 72 for the preservation/slam job that is coming up early next year. I have bought a 5" narrowed, 1" raised BJ beam from Wagenswest and 2.5 dropped spindles. New wheels are sitting in the basement along with the ever so popular sized 165/50-15 and 185/65-15 tires. I have a set of adjustable Slamwerks spring plates but I bought them for my green 70 and they won't work, anybody have any comments on which ones to order? Does Slamwerks make 72-later plates?

I also wanted to thank all of the guys (Gadget, Rob B, etc) on this site who have answered my technical questions while I order parts for the bus. I want to have it all lined up for next year when I finish up the 69 and this rolls in the garage

I had the bus out a while back and snapped a few pics.

IMG_1248_zps70b5a96f.jpg

IMG_1217_zpsb0c36ee4.jpg

I did a test polish on the rear quater on this side to see how the paint shines
IMG_1211_zps1699a307.jpg

IMG_1212_zpsb3767a63.jpg

IMG_1223_zpsdf66df0f.jpg

Found these in the glove box
IMG_1224_zps73472ea0.jpg

IMG_1222_zps5a4c72b7.jpg

IMG_1226_zps079f7b97.jpg

Drivers panel now back on
IMG_1235_zpsdf3d15f3.jpg

Sunroof works but was full of wisteria flowers so I took it apart and cleaned it up, I will have to go through it a bit better yet
P1010040_zpsc63b638b.jpg

Beam
IMG_0019.jpg

Wow :shock: that's some smart bus there, be you're well chuffed with it.

I just received my Transporetrhaus rear adjustable spring plates and already bought a set of WagensWest 2.5" drop plates. This along with the beam I hope to achieve this:

1037139.jpg

I had this photoshopped. I will be bringing it home in the fall after enjoying the 69 this summer and a full preservation will be in order. I have various other cool bits , NOS etc. I will update with that stuff another time.

I am looking for a nice rear 70-72 rear bumper trim for the bus if anybody has one. I have parts to trade or cash

First time I've seen this bus what an amazing find pal
Good luck with the build it should
Look amazing

Rob

Well with the 69 all wrapped up I am going to plug away at this van now. Comics were the original plan and sitting downstairs but I have a set of real deep 6 and early 5.5's Fuchs hiding in my storage that I am contemplating running. 165/50r15's front and 185/65r15 in the rear. The only brand available in hose sizes over here are Federal Formoza's

I just picked up a 1600 cc engine bar assembly off the late bay and already have the tinware so an upright conversion is going to go down :msn4:

Progress will be slow for the next few months but I will hit it hard in the fall.

Johnny said:
lovely bus, mine is kansas beige too, sunroof is the icing on the cake.

I would have to agree, the weather here has been sunny and in the low 20's and I've been driving the 69 around the past few days and I haven't closed the sunroof on it yet.

Nice bus for sure 8) gotta love a bus with history and a good story or 2 with photos and participation awards etc great score :D

Latest posts