Thermostat/flaps testing

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VeeDubMan

Reaction score
Just rebuilt my engine (1584cc, Engle 100, twin 34ICT's, electric fuel pump) and when I put the fan housing back on, I dabbed a bit of Tippex onto the end of the shaft that rotates when the flaps open (too much mention of shaft and flaps there :D ). This can be seen bottom right of the fan housing. The idea being I would be able to tell when the flaps were open or closed if the Tippex had rotated.

Anyway, took it out for a spin for around 10 miles tonight. Country roads then back through town. The mark hadn't seemed to have rotated as dramatically as I thought it would (there was a reference point on the fan housing so I could check where it started). I'm now worried that the flaps won't open enough and I'll run into over-heating issues.

How do others measure if the flaps/thermostat are working or not?

Try taking off the tin underneath and heating the thermostat with I hairdryer or heat gun, you should see what the stat is doing then, could need a bit of adjustment.

I just look at the thermostat once the engine gets hot to ensure that it is open fully within the cage/mount (as in it's touching both sides). You can look up under the rear bumper and see this, with a torch, above the sled tin.

Zcat7 said:
I just look at the thermostat once the engine gets hot to ensure that it is open fully within the cage/mount (as in it's touching both sides). You can look up under the rear bumper and see this, with a torch, above the sled tin.
Thanks. Unfortunately, my muffler is hiding it. Will have to remove the tin to take a look. How long would you say with normal driving it takes to open?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I found that it wasn't much at all! If you imagine the amount of heat that's pouring off of the barrel fins once the engine is warm enough to kick the choke off, it's way hotter than what a hair drier can generate (and you can get it fully open with a hair drier...) and so should open fully in no time. I'm pretty sure it will be fully open once you've driven a mile.

Latest posts