Timing - re-con engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt-me

Reaction score
I understand i have a re-con engine, installed by PO. As such i can't establish what timing to use for said engine.

After trying different timings i have it running really well at about 10 degrees btdc. Is this a good enough solution? It pulls and drives really well, i just want to try and establish if there are any pitfalls? Any other setting makes it hesitant when pulling away and can slightly pop.

Thanks Al

matt-me said:
I understand i have a re-con engine, installed by PO. As such i can't establish what timing to use for said engine.

After trying different timings i have it running really well at about 10 degrees btdc. Is this a good enough solution? It pulls and drives really well, i just want to try and establish if there are any pitfalls? Any other setting makes it hesitant when pulling away and can slightly pop.

Thanks Al

It depends on the distributor, but most seem to be 7.5 btdc. There are documents out there on the web which specify it all - you can probably google them as fast as I can. Don't know if 2.5 degrees makes much difference, but if it's sounding right, performing well and not using too much fuel I wouldn't (personally) be worrying too much. If you've got a vac dizzy and the vac isn't working properly, then you might be timed right at cruising revs but slightly out at idle.

I'm sure a proper expert will be along in a while...

The total advance is a more useful way to set you timing, max advance is around 32 degrees at around 3200 rpm.

Having said that the 009 has a total of 28 degrees of advance and is timed at 7.5 before TCD statically.

If possible always check full advance when statically timing an engine if you want to avoid detonation issues.

do you know anyone near who you could borrow a timing light from? definetly recommend setting it up properly - will only take 10 mins with a light and all that worry goes away 8)

(and that includes the time for the cuppa :mrgreen: )

Hi guys thanks for the replies. Noddy you're always there, thought you were moving over to the synchro side or have i got that wrong, pleased to hear from you nonetheless.

I have a timing light but as it is a re-con engine i didn't know what the base setting should be (Haynes or Muir has all settings depending on engine code hence the problem). I have just changed over to a 123 dizzy from a SVDA. Early days but seems very good.

When i had the SVDA, the best set up i found was at 10 btdc. The 123 was set up at a different setting by my mechanic(about 5btdc) and seemed fine when you revved it up when standing but when driving (home) it hesitated a little and occassionally popped. Couldn't get back to see him so i set it back at 10btdc and it goes really well.

I was just trying to double check that i couldn't be doing any damage to the engine and was hoping for confirmation (which i think i now have, thanks no 6) that it should be set up so it feels it is the best setting when driving. I will try and double check what it is at when 3200 revs but i don't have the correct kit to know when i am at this rev limit.

Early days to report back on the 123 and it is only set on the standard setting but will report back in due course.

Thanks again

Al