Tinware

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chenzo

Reaction score
I think that my engine is running a bit hot since It came back from the garage, they had it out to replace the fuel hoses.

Does anyone have a diagram of all the tin ware?

I want to check that it is all fitted before I start doing any other trouble shooting.

Looking from underneath the van, I can see the cooling fins on the rear cylinders both sides, should they be enclosed by a piece of the tinware?

yes it should, your best bet is to have a look on a parts site, they have exploded diagrams showing the tinware.

cheers,

another stupid question - what are j tubes?

I seem to be missing the heat exchangers and a few other bits seem to be blanked off

j tubes are used when the heat exchangers are removed. Just plain exhaust manifold tubes with no heat exchanger gubbins.

I take it the engine is running hot, but inside the van its cold, did it have heat before it went to the garage?

the gaps could be caused by the removal of the heat exangers, basically the J tube is a small J shaped piece of exhaust pipe, wheras the heat exchanger is quite large and bulky, when the heat exhangers are removed and J tubes fitted, there is a gap between the original tinware and the J tube.

I'm supprised no one has ever made a fil piece to close the gap.

Resurrecting this thread—I have a gap in my tinware but it doesn't look like anything has been cut, I presume I have the incorrect tinware pieces? Unless this gap is meant for something else?

AL9nZEXB1SE64szwtc4B2xQifDcZTVYRuFDNGUysnOJXzdom9hMBJSEbgcPhfdeYpj3abxXO9-VQ8SXZ1P0gnhu3Eg2trV_tGY-Y8Xj2nHZ09icYfXkg6K_C6HwWoEUqEKiGTm-zgL6fUZ9IcVPhCch3c3KjiQ=w1232-h1642-no

I’m going to jump on this thread and ask if anyone can point me to the correct blanking plates for these please:
)Can’t seem to get a grommet to fit the round hole as it’s a bit oval!)
Thank you!
Ben
7522F21D-87A8-495D-B7A5-98D002348E49.jpegF8054D20-7F05-44BD-BEDA-E947FDA5C75D.jpeg14701B86-013D-47E9-A0EC-2C1D4F357050.jpeg

Philster, Had the same problem when I got my bus, I ended up buying a new price of tin for that gap and a "behind pulley" peice. It was an absolutely bitch to get in and involved lots of cutting and bending, I've still got some small gaps, but it doesn't seem to affect the cooling (I also have an external oil cooler).

Ah, I was hoping nobody would mention the piece behind the pulley! Cheers fellas, I think I'll buy and fit a new rear piece then tackle the bit behind the pulley next time I pull the engine...

Just make a cover plate, there are some screw holes there to fix it to. Heat riser holes the same unless you have the correct bits then just use a washer to fill the round hole once the middle of large washer is closed off. Weld or bolt will work.

Ah, I was hoping nobody would mention the piece behind the pulley! Cheers fellas, I think I'll buy and fit a new rear piece then tackle the bit behind the pulley next time I pull the engine...
Also.... There seem to be two types, I got the wrong one initially but had already cut and bent it before I'd realised. It was too shallow, or wide I seem to remember. Also, if you have an after market pulley, it may touch the tin at the bottom. I also bought the rear tin that goes round the pulley as the old one had heater tube holes in, which I no longer needed. My resto thread https://earlybay.com/threads/small-amount-of-restoration.78568/page-4 here has some info.

If your tinware is original just make some blanking covers for the preheat and warm air tube holes. I made some from some aluminium sheet and used a pair of tin snips to cut them.
If you look on my thread 3rd August 2019 you can see what I did.

If your tinware is original just make some blanking covers for the preheat and warm air tube holes. I made some from some aluminium sheet and used a pair of tin snips to cut them.
If you look on my thread 3rd August 2019 you can see what I did.
Thanks Mike. Will have a look 👍

Getting creative with the corn flakes box as a template first so you know exactly what you’re looking for as in metal size. Then wander around your garage looking for what might fill the gap. Even gaffer tape is good enough as a temporary thing but usually the oil will kill it off in short time. Old ally looks to be a great shout. I’ve got some ally bits off an old ally back door that look like they’d do the job and easy to work with too. Skips can be a great source of stuff for bits of scrap :love:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,we like free :)

Years ago, I had a cut piece of coffee can that I used to bridge the gaps on incorrect tinware. Spray painted black, it looked fine. Eventually, I was able to acquire the correct tinware for a ‘71.

Do whatever it takes to keep hot air from entering the engine compartment, even if it involves tinsnips and tin cans.

Latest posts